Muscadine juice or whole muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
I want to start a new batch of muscadine wine but want to get a stronger flavor of muscadine. Should I make a juice out of the muscadines or just use the whole fruit ?

I'm not an expert by any means (have not made a Muscadine yet), but the some of those who have, say to leave the juice on the skins until almost dry. Do a search in on Muscadines, and I think it was Julie that commented on hers, and JSWordy is one of the resident experts on Muscadine Wines.

I use the whole fruit, I mash it and let it sit with pectin for 24 hours to break down the sugars, etc...before I start adding sugar with my hydrometer. I remove the fruit after 3 are 4 days, there is not much left of it then..
I get a good flavor with muscadines and mustang grapes that way.

I have pectin and I did that for my last batch. Do you squeeze out all the juice from the left over mushy stuff. ? Seemed to make such a big mess when I did that. Or maybe let it drip out

Make sure you the fruit has been crushed before you start, add enough water to bring your acid down to .80 and ferment it on the skins until you are down to around 1.000, then press the fruit (if you do not have a press, then yes you have to squeeze the juice out).

Ok thanks for the info. I don't have a acid meter I may go get one before I start this batch

I know I will have to thaw out my fruit first so I'm thinking of boiling it a little bit.

Ok I'll look up that kit. My first batch of wine I followed a recipie from Field and Stream. Turned on good and was very basic. No measuring or nothing. But now that I'm trying to do it "right" I get more confused .

Rita36,
This forum is fantastic, and the people who will reply to you are very friendly and helpful. I have been making wine for about three years now and these folks held my hand through those beginning batches. If you're not sure, then ask as many questions as you need to until you understand. If somethings not clear, then ask again.

I was very skeptical of making the wine in the winter time but have been assured that it will be just fine but may take longer to ferment.

Don't boil! You will take a change of creating haze that will be difficult to clear. Just let them defrost, crush and add some pectic enzyme

Thank you Julie for that answer. I was wondering why it took so long for the wine to clear.

Can you refer me to a good muscadine recipie ?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp

For one gallon, if making 5 compensate by multiplying by 5 except for yeast.

I recommend getting the specific gravity before you add sugar and use this calculator to determine how much sugar. When entering current sg and expected sg, do not use decimals.

http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/winecalc.html

If you are not real sure about the process, post it on this forum and someone will help. I needed help but it is really helpful. Here is a helpful chart. generally one cup of sugar by volume equals 7 ounces by weight.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/sugar_amounts.html

Back