Muscadine juice or whole muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the northern edge of muscadine territory too, and am wondering what this winter is going to do. Older vines will survive better than ones that were just planted in the last year or two. There was a muscadine vineyard in Florida that sold frozen grapes. Some of them will crush and/or press grapes you pick at their U-pick vineyards.

My muscadines are grown by a man here in holly springs, ms. He has no idea what kind they are. I have also noticed that there are no started kits for muscadine juice. Thank y'all so much for your hints and suggestions I will be sure to let y'all know how it works out.

Wow ! How do yall let yours age so long ? I guess y'all do more than 5 gallons here and there. If I can do several batches this year maybe I can save some to savor a year or so from now

For those of you into scuppernong (white) wine, please don't let Carlos rule the roost for you. There is a variety called Darlene that is an extremely sweet grape bursting with flavor. I use it as an adjunct to Fry, which makes a more complex wine that Carlos does. Ferment a 90% Fry/10% Darlene mix. You'll be rewarded.

Carlos is becoming the standard in commercial wine, but there are many other worthy varieties. I have had several commercial $12-15 Carlos wines that are about as yellow as this emoticon :try with a straightforward flavor. My scuppernong wine is golden in hue and complex in flavor. Julie and I have talked about this, so I am sure she would agree her wine is darker than commercial wine.

Noble is a good muscadine grape for a red. Like almost all other red muscadine grapes, it is high dependent on the pH and mineral content of the soil to develop robustness and mitigate against foxiness. A straight varietal muscadine wine will vary with rainfall and soil conditions each year.

Most muscadine wines in my area of the country are consumed within 6-8 months of bottling, so long-term gaining results are hard to come by.

I have become so addicted to making and drinking these wines I am considering eventually narrowing my winemaking to muscadine, scuppernong and Norton, plus a blueberry, and that's it. If I added a dedicated freezer to store the harvest, I could make just these wines and be good for the year. Three are sweet and one is dry. I am already to the point where 20 gallons is the minimum I make of these varieties.

Plus, it provides me with great satisfaction to make a wine from fruit not available everywhere in the country, and to enter said "stepchild" wine into competition. Completely Made in USA!

Here is an interesting scholarly report on muscadines, including a native range map: http://www.smallfruits.org/CoAgentTraining/Sept06Training/No1Muscadine_acres_and_cultivars.pdf

Last edited:
I love muscadine anything, jelly,wine,juice,fruit, etc.
Guess it will be the noble and wild for me this year..
Im getting like you wordy...THink i will stick with muscadine,mustang and blackberrys this year I like it so much.

Latest posts

Back