Muscadine First Attempt, need feedback

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasGrand

Junior
Reaction score
I've never made wine but I have a lot of muscadine in the freezer and more on the vines. Following is my initial recipe plan.
Please make constructive recommendations with explanations why.
Thanks
Red Muscadine Recipe
•50 # Noble Muscadine
•Crush grapes and place in 10 gal. Initial fermenter.
•Add ½ teaspoon sodium sulfite to one pint juice. Add to the juice in the initial fermenter and cover with cheesecloth. Wait 4 hours.
•Add Montrachet #522 yeast to one cup 100F juice. Add to 10 gal, cover with cheesecloth, store at 60F to 75F
•Punch down cap twice daily for 4 days
•Press grapes
•Add sugar to 22% (1.090 SG) Add any sugar to 2 quarts of juice, while warming on stove, add to 10 gal.
•Mix 1 pound of sugar to 2 quarts warm water, add to 10 gal., cover with cheesecloth, wait 48 hours
•Transfer to glass carboys, 95% full, install air lock, store 60F to 75F, store 2 months
•Rack and store 1 month
•Rack; add one teaspoon/each 3 gal, sodium metabisulfite. Store at 20F to 40F for 2 months
•Rack store at 60F to 70F for 2 months
•Bottle

Not bad, t won't rack until your must is down to at least 1.010. My preference is ferment to 1.010 then snap down lid and add an airlock, rack to carboy when dry. I would Dd k-Metz at this point and leave it for 3 months, then rack. I doubt very much you Re going to bottle a fresh grape wine in two months. You need to leave it sit three months and then check the clarity. Are wanting this as a dry wine? I would taste it before bottling, muscadine seems to taste better when sweetened. You, also, need to check your acid and adjust and it is better to do this prior to fermentation. Onc

Press your grapes. Mix juice with skins. Add Potassium Metabisulfite not "Sodium". This will inhibit wild yeast from taking over unless thats what you want. I have done that and have had no problems.

Check the dose as per instructions, I don't usually sulfite prior to fermentation.

After 12-24 hours if sulfited add pectic enzyme. Liquid is about 21 drops per 6 gallons.

Wait 12-24 hours, you may stir or punch down cap if you like to keep everything wet.

Rehydrate your yeast, usually a few ounces of 100 degree water. Wait 15 minutes and add to your grapes. You may introduce some juice a little at a time to your yeast then add all to grapes 15-30 minutes later.

Add 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient per gallon of must. Stir a few times per day. Ferment dry. (You may remove the skins anytime but usually @1.050)

@1.000 stir well and add 1 teaspoon per 6 gallons of must of yeast energizer. Rack into a carboy EVERYTHING, juice, sediment EVERYTHING! Airlock and let it finish. Leave some space at the top of carboy for now.

2-3 days later it should be finished. Rack off of sediment, sulfite with a pinch of sulfite, add a clearing agent if you like and leave it under airlock fully topped off for 4-6 weeks.

Rack off of sediment, add oak if you like that, I didn't with my muscadine. a small amount of sulfite and age 6-8 months.

Back sweeten, rack, add sorbate if sweetening. Wait a few weeks and bottle.

Additional note, as fermentation nears completion I just snap on a lid with an airlock. I rack when done. That's my preference.

Be sure to check your starting gravity and ending gravity. If you juice is too strong add a little water prior fermentation.

my take for what its worth...I would add pectin enzyme 24 hours before adding sugar to let the fruit breakdown and release as much natural sugar as in the fruit.
i would use a red star pasteur red, are premier curvee, are lalvin equivalent. montrachet is a known culprit for causing h2s.
there really is no need to add the sulfites that early, as the formation of alcohol and co2 will be enough to protect your wine during fermentation.
i would move the wine to the secondary when it hit .990 on your hydrometer...
and go from there.
others correct me please....

Julie I just bottled my Noble the other day. It's awesome at 2 years. It was so far in the back I couldn't get to it.

Got a bottle for you and Doug. Dan too if he's nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm studying your recommendations and adjusting my plan. More questions later

Latest posts

Back