Muscadine Debris in Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
I racked my 4 month old batch of muscadine this evening that is bulk aging. This is my fourth racking since primary. I had not stabilized until this evening after racking, and do not add clearing agents to my muscadine batches. This is the first time I have had debris that look like basil and a quarter cup of what looks like sugar sand. The last several batches I have made the same way without this debris. Any ideas?

ForumRunner_20130407_204100.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_204209.jpg

ForumRunner_20130407_204448.jpg

LMAO, you struck it rich with diamonds. This is just tataric acid. You need to cold stabilize this wine. It is perfectly normal. Why are you racking your wine every month (4x in 4 months)?

Well, primary to secondary in about a week, secondary off the lees in a month, and then racking here three months later because it had the appearance of being clear enough to get off the debris. Tartaric Acid huh? I wonder why my previous batches from the same grapes didn't have some of them. It's crazy how each batch is so different! Thanks Dan. I was beginning to think I had been sabotaged.

If I had that much debris drop out without cold stabilization, what am I expecting if I do cold stablize? Will time also drop out these crystals or does it have to be cold stabilization? Are there any other alternatives besides placing a carboy in a refrigerator? Being that I am in Central Florida, I do not have that white stuff that you guys call snow that I can place my carboys out in.

I keep my house between 72 and 74 degrees. I am honestly considering running the inside of a flex duct from half of my one room air conditioning vents across the room and down to whatever carboy needs to be cold stabilized. This would pump about 50 degree air over the top of the carboy for most of the day and night. Would chilling the wine to that extent be helpful?

I don't cold stabilize my wines but I age them thru the winter in the basement at 55 degrees. I normally have crystals fall out for my muscadine and so far have not had any in my bottles when it comes time to bottle. I bottle about 7 or 8 months after fermentation.

So then it does sound like my idea to duct some of my cold air on top of a carboy would work. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Last edited:
That is of course my ideal option but my problem is I am not sure where to put the old used refrigerator. I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out where to put everything else! Besides, if I bring home a new refrigerator , it will be very quickly requisitioned by the governing authority of my house for extra refrigerator storage space.

Thanks Arne.

I've been getting this in some of my bottles. Especially ones that have been refrigerated. My carboys sat through the winter in my basement, but the temperature there stays around 60. This would be muscadine wine bottled in February.

See this shows how much I know. I would have thought that cold stablization was something that would be required in a much lower acidic environments. But getting there so its acidic I would have imagined that it wouldn't have been necessary. I now worry about the bottles that I have on my wine rack.

Let me rephrase that. I thought that cold stablization was only required with the introduction of potassium bicarbonate.

Let me rephrase that. I thought that cold stablization was only required with the introduction of potassium bicarbonate.

Cold stabilization alone can yield a drop of tartaric crystals when dealing with overly acidic grape wines.
You can also use calcium carbonate, ie chalk, but after its use, the wine should be bulk aged at least 6 months to allow calcium malate, a byproduct of calcium carbonate use, to precipitate from the wine. The wine should then be cold stabilized to ensure tartrate crystals do not precipitate out after bottling.
Then you have you have potassium bicarb & after its use, the wine should be cold stabilized, as up to 30% of the potential acid reduction occurs during cold stabilization.
And finally there is potassium bitartrate (a.k.a. Cream of Tartar) is used as a catalyst to help promote cold stabilization. It also promotes the formation of tartrate crystals.

If you do not have an extra refrigerator available, there is an alternative method of cold stabilization. First treat the wine with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to prevent further yeast reproduction. Then put the carboy in a plastic garbage can just big enough to leave 2-3 inches of air all around the carboy. Fill that space with ice cubes or crushed ice and sprinkle about ¼ to ½ pound of salt on the ice. Stir the ice a bit with a wooden spoon and then let nature take its course. You may get some ice formation on the insides of the carboy, but it shouldn't grow very thick. It is prudent to mark the wine level on the neck of the carboy before starting. If the wine level rises more than ¼ inch (5 mm), remove the carboy until the inside ice melts and then put it back inside the ice slurry. Add ice and salt as necessary. When the slurry loses its frigidness in a day or two, dump out the water and repeat. You'll have to keep it ice cold for at least two weeks, but this does work. (All info per Jack Keller's website)

That is of course my ideal option but my problem is I am not sure where to put the old used refrigerator. I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out where to put everything else! Besides, if I bring home a new refrigerator , it will be very quickly requisitioned by the governing authority of my house for extra refrigerator storage space.

Thanks Arne.

Lol, slowly having the same problem here. Have my own reefer in the basement, but at times don't believe it is still mine. :)Arne.

Does anyone happen to know if once these crystals drop out of the wine, if they have any propensity of re-dissolving?

Lol, slowly having the same problem here. Have my own reefer in the basement, but at times don't believe it is still mine. :)Arne.

Has a side-by-side given to me for my shop building as a beer fridge. Now fridge is 2/3 her stuff. I hear complaints when I freeze grapes on that side. I said woman, you have the largest side-by-side made in the industry in the house, as well as a huge upright freezer. This is supposed to be MINE! :h

The shop floor has been a very hard bed these last few weeks! :)

Latest posts

Back