Mulberry 2010

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
What started as an innocent day of steam juicing turned into the beginnings of a new wine for this year.

3.4 gallons mulberry juice
7#’s sugar
2 tbs Yeast nutrient
1 tbs Yeast energizer
1 tbs wine tannin
1 tbs acid blend
¼ Tsp K-meta

2 packets of Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 await tomorrow evening

SG 1.086

Everything is tucked away into the fermenter for 24 hours, will pitch the yeast tomorrow night when I return from work.

I reserved two quarts of juice from the juicing today for an f-pak at a later date. I need to pick up some oak as I intend to oak this batch. Medium Toast.... French I believe was your recommendation last year Waldo, and so it shall be.

Gaudet, I used a spiral of light toast american oak and then later added a spiral of med toast french oak. I kind of like what they both had to offer to the wine.

I have around 75 lbs of mulberries tucked away in the freezer for right now ( too much stuff going on here to start any wine ). I will be steam juicing them this year to see if it makes a difference in the wine.

BOB

Guess it would have been important to mention I did a 6 gallon batch. Yes tablespoons were what I used.

1/2 tsp per gallon = 1 tablespoon

1 tsp per gallon = 2 tablespoons

I got my measurements right don't I?

Yes you do, Im just not used to seeing tbls and forget the equivalent!

Phew, two weeks have flown by. I need to rack this soon. The airlock activity seems to have ceased and it should be dry now. Add this to my weekend to do list.

I think I have close to 5 lbs of berries. I may have to use some raisins to make up for the lack of fruit juice. Have any suggestions?

Are you shooting for 1 gallon? If so that should be enough fruit. You could add a pound of raisins and that would probably be good enough to help you out. You might also ferment on the skins too

Yeah I'm thinking one gallon. I'll use red raisins and ferment on the fruit skins/pulp.

Yeah 5 lbs is a decent amount of fruit per gallon and some white raisins would add some needed body or even a bottle of the white grape concentrate George sells.

Racked and stabilized yesterday. Gonna be another fine wine. Got to get some American oak medium and I will backsweeten this one with an f-pack.

I was curious as to pectin. If it is heated too long it does break down. I always add pectic enzyme to my must when starting(unless I forget). When I add the f-pack should I add more pectic enzyme? I think that it's all broken down anyways since I steam juice my fruit and can and process it in a boiling water bath for about 10 minutes.

Guess it's better to be safe than sorry

Who says procrastination doesn't pay???

I racked this wine today and re sulfited it with k-meta. Had to split it to two containers as I didn't think I'd have enough to top off the 6 gallon carboy solamente....
No f-pack needed for this one.... Its going dry and I think I am quite fond of its dry flavor....
Took off a half glass to sample and wow it was good. Gonna let it rest a while more before I bottle it. Might even bottle half and oak half and let it rest a bit longer. I never did get around to getting that American Oak as I thought I did.

I already put it to sleep in the Wine closet and forgot to take pictures. Well maybe next time.....

I am going to be picking soon.... if this is good wine, that is!
smiley2.gif

RE: picking: I am thinking of taking a blanket out (an old one of course) and shaking the bush. Is that how everyone else does it?

boozinsusan said:
I am going to be picking soon.... if this is good wine, that is!
smiley2.gif

RE: picking: I am thinking of taking a blanket out (an old one of course) and shaking the bush. Is that how everyone else does it?

If you have the trees in your yard, just lay out some old clean sheets and let nature take its course, the ripe ones will pick themselves. Go out once or twice a day and collect your treasure...........

This batch has been my best ever. I think its great after almost two years. It was bottles in December, and I have been enjoying a few bottles recently. Its a nice dry "merlot" style (IMHO)

Latest posts

Back