Muhammad Ali

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day when his fights were on prime time regular tv and everyone watched and it was a main discussion the next day in school. :h Last of the GREAT fighters. RIP.

Last edited:
I have mixed and conflicting emotions concerning the man. Still, I would of course offer my condolences to the family.

I did not agree with his views of country loyalty,
I did not agree with his views on religion,
I did not agree with his political views,
I did not agree with his boastfulness,

Really, the only great thing about him was his ability to beat up on his fellow man.

So, why did I like him so much??? I keep asking myself that..

RIP Muhammad

I did not agree with his views of country loyalty,
I did not agree with his views on religion,
I did not agree with his political views,
I did not agree with his boastfulness,

Really, the only great thing about him was his ability to beat up on his fellow man.

So, why did I like him so much??? I keep asking myself that..

RIP Muhammad

He was very entertaining, especially when bantering with Howard Cosell.

Ali

1. His politics are his own. i do not believe this forum is the correct place to discuss those matters. if you want to pm me, i will be glad to listen
2 Islam means "surrender to go God".anybody can interpret religion to fulfill their own needs
3.religion to me is not just faith but action. when I in was in Morocco , a women feinted and everyone just stood around. this middle age man stepped forward and knelt beside er and too out his prayer beads and just began to pray as he held her hand. He did this until medical assistance arrived. I know since I was there.
4. boastfulness. I agree more or less...all part of the game. ever watch cage fights mouth off. I have limited respect for them.
5. Loyaltty?? Just sit in a group of ex-vets who are dealing with PTSD but I tend to agree with depending how you define loyalty
I met him in 1970 in an exhibition. he had us all eating out of the palm of his hand, I had ring side seats and he treated us all just like buddies.

I am not trying to change your mind just give a perspective.
Corinth

1. His politics are his own. i do not believe this forum is the correct place to discuss those matters. if you want to pm me, i will be glad to listen
2 Islam means "surrender to go God".anybody can interpret religion to fulfill their own needs
3.religion to me is not just faith but action. when I in was in Morocco , a women feinted and everyone just stood around. this middle age man stepped forward and knelt beside er and too out his prayer beads and just began to pray as he held her hand. He did this until medical assistance arrived. I know since I was there.
4. boastfulness. I agree more or less...all part of the game. ever watch cage fights mouth off. I have limited respect for them.
5. Loyaltty?? Just sit in a group of ex-vets who are dealing with PTSD but I tend to agree with depending how you define loyalty
I met him in 1970 in an exhibition. he had us all eating out of the palm of his hand, I had ring side seats and he treated us all just like buddies.

I am not trying to change your mind just give a perspective.
Corinth

the only thing i was trying to say was that there was a lot about the guy that i disagree with. still, i liked the guy. i also agree that politics has no place here. i just said that i disagree and that is all i was gonna say.

i am so sorry if i offended you. still, you must agree the the man was contriversial.

No politics inside that ring...you either can or can't...Ali could. I have always thought that "it ain't boasting, if you can actually do it"...Ali could.
Only one other heavyweight I have seen could match his footwork, power, speed, and ring savy...a fighter out of Cuba, Theofellow Stevenson. Politics kept that match from ever happening...Cuba wouldn't risk sending him over here to defect. I think Ali was smart enough not to go over there! It could have been the all-time classic heavyweight bout...we will never know.

Watch Ali's old fights and watch the heavyweights today and it is just sad for boxing. Big guys plodding around the ring looking for that one knockout shot. Ali would have danced circles around them for 6 rounds stabbing with jab. Then come out in the 7th and start up with power body shots and then take off their head. It was a horribly beautiful thing to watch happen. He was a pure boxer. I have missed him for years already in boxing.

Fare thee well, Ali.

Back in the day when his fights were on prime time regular tv and everyone watched and it was a main discussion the next day in school. :h Last of the GREAT fighters. RIP.

Tony I remember that so well. I always said a great athlete. I just think there is a bit of excessive attention overall.

002.jpg

Ali

John, you did not offend me , I respect you too much.

There is a DVD named "facing Ali" in which they interview many of the boxers he faced . They all said good things about him as a fighter, etc they basically said if it were not for Ali, they would not have had a career as as a fighter. One of them actually wept as he spoke. When he used his jab,he would give the jab a twist. They say that is why so many of his opponents bleed so much-who knows.
I have many of the articles on him, sports illustrated, ring magazine.

Mismost: I do think it was wise of Ali not to go to Cuba and fight Theofellow Stevenson. He destroyed every fighter-fearsome!

regards,
Corinth

A different take on Ali vs. Stevenson...

"American boxing promoters could have profited hugely from a cold war-era matchup pitting Stevenson, the product of a Communist sports system, against Ali. There were reports that Stevenson was offered millions to fight in the United States. But the Castro government banned Cuban athletes from competing professionally, so he would have had to defect to take on Ali." New York Times - By RICHARD GOLDSTEINJUNE 12, 2012

Back