Mourn with me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asherz515

Reaction score
Seriously. I just was moving my pear wine that's been bulk aging for 4 months. The whole bottom of my glass carboy popped off. The wine poured out everywhere and is a total loss...I think I'm in shock and have no idea how it happened. I think I'll go drink some of my skeeter pee it's time to start mourning

holy crap, you most definitely have my sympathy. this is horrible

Holy Moley sorry to hear that. Can you give us any details when you get a chance. Was it sitting on concrete? Italian or Mexican carboy or one of those from Amazon?

I'm always afraid of that happening. I'm careful to grab from underneath and pull close to me. That's 45 pounds inside there.

Sad to hear that.

Seriously I'm at a loss :m just wish I had the whole thing on video...oh well luckily I have others bulk aging but it was my first wine. I'll have more pears next fall so I can start another then :(

Around the corner there is an older couple with a huge pear tree in their back yard. Massive amounts of pears. They gave me bags and bags last year.

Earlier this year a windy storm came thru and broke the tree really bad. They had it trimmed but it will be awhile, if at all until there are more pears.

Happy that you can at least get more. Still doesn't make up for the loss that can't be replaced.

Our prayers go out to you. Was it at least a virgin that was sacrificed? May the wine gods be pleased!

Holy Moley sorry to hear that. Can you give us any details when you get a chance. Was it sitting on concrete? Italian or Mexican carboy or one of those from Amazon?

The carboy was one I bought of craiglist so I don't know where it came from. It was 4 months old and I had just racked it the week before. I picked it up by the bottom of the bottle and held it close to me....thats when the bottom fell of and started pouring out the bottom which soaked my shirt jeans and everything. I handed it off to my husband who tried to save it but by the time he got it to the bathroom it had completely emptied. It was my first wine but thanks to all you folks I have others aging...and this skeeter pee is fantastic :)

The only thing I can think of is the bottle must have been old or something.

Around the corner there is an older couple with a huge pear tree in their back yard. Massive amounts of pears. They gave me bags and bags last year.

Earlier this year a windy storm came thru and broke the tree really bad. They had it trimmed but it will be awhile, if at all until there are more pears.

Happy that you can at least get more. Still doesn't make up for the loss that can't be replaced.
Luckily I have 2 pear trees so there will be plenty next year I have one more aging at this moment. It is just hard especially with whole fruit the work that goes into it to have it all wasted...I guess its just added experience for a newbie

That's terrible, sorry to hear it. Although this hasn't happened to me, just the thought of it made me switch to Better Bottles. If something like this happened to me it would likely be on the carpet upstairs, and I might not live through it after my wife saw it!

Just glad you didnt get hurt. This is one reason I use a electric vacuum pump to rack all my wines so that I never have to lift a full carboy and either hurt my back or have the bottom fall out on me and lose all my wine. That could have been catastrophic had the whole carboy gave in on you slicing you up like a chunk of roast beef.

Just thinking about losing all that wine in a split second scares me. I think I may go to better bottles also.

I feel your pain, I almost cried when I dumped my crabapple and that was because it didn't taste good.

images.jpg

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt or cut. Feel sorry about loss of wine. Flags at half mast for your loss here. I'll tip a glass for you tonight as well.

Sorry for your loss. Glad that you weren't hurt.
Perhaps stress testing carboys in the future can help. Fill it up with water completely after purchase... Water cleans up easier than wine.
If it's being stored on the floor, use a camping mat to provide padding and insulation.
Best of luck in your winemaking endeavors.

Would insurance cover replacing carpeting If you had a carboy or red wine let loose on a carpeted floor?

Latest posts

Back