Mosti Mondiale Mosti Masters Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otto6183

Reaction score
Just tossed the hydrated yeast (EC-1118) and the raisins, into what I hope will be one fantastic Amarone........next year. Everything went as planned, except the must was 58 degrees Fahrenheit! The temperature must have been in the 30s all the way from Texas to Southern Mississippi. Well, the old fermenter in the sink with hot water trick solved that problem.

I will admit that I was very impressed with my two earlier Mosti kits, Renaissance Chianti and LaBodega Port, but the must in this kit is just short of fantastic. I hope I can exercise adequate self restraint to keep it ageing for a full year. Mosti reccomends a minimum of 10 to 12 weeks.

The kit comes with 90gm of oak for insertion in secondary.

Cheers

Sounds good otto.....So how often did you have to change the water to keep the temp up? A heating pad works really well too.

Hi Otto!

I am in the fourth day of primary fermentatiion with my Mosti Amarone and it looks wonderful....try putting a heater in the room, but my guess is it will not matter.....the yeast in my kit ( and my kit was in the low 60's) just went at it and touched the top of the lid on the bucket!!!! Goodluck, I am just a few days ahead of you.....the raisins are full looking like they will burst with tons of flavor, if I had to do it over again, I would have chopped up the raisins a bit.

Francie

When it is time to remove the raisins add them to a bowl of bran flakes...Breakfast of Champions!
smiley20.gif

I am really looking forward to making some of these MM kits.

Where in Mississippi are you located. I am from Gulfport but live in North Carolina now for 18 years. going back home on Feb 2 for my dad's 75th birthday. After Katrina they moved to Arkansaw but Mom is taking him back home for the party.
If you have a digital camera or know someone that can come over and take pictures of your wine making efforts we love to see them posted here.
Don

I only used the sink and hot water to initially raise the temp, Waldo. I am currently using a brew belt to keep the must at optimum temperature. 24 hours after tossing the yeast I have a constant flow of those intoxicating bubbles.

I have thought about getting a heating pad several times but just never seemed to get around to it. I do agree, however, that it is an ultimate necessity.

I also thought about chopping the raisins, but as far as I can tell from past experiences, just about all of the sugar is fermented out. Needless to say, I tasted more than just a couple in past endeavors. Alcoholic raisins are hard to beat, even it they aren't sweet.

Don, I live in the country, about 12 miles southeast of McComb, about a mile from the Walthall County line. I do have to interject here that I am not a native of this area. I was born and lived most of my life in and around Austin, Texas. When I retired 3 years ago, I moved to MS and love the laid back country livin'. I will try to post a photograph later this morning.

Cheers

Here is the Amarone approximately 24 hours into fermentation. The
lighting is terrible, so I shot one with flash and one without. The
actual color is much closer to the first photograph.

20070119_105213_noflash.jpg

</span>
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
20070119_105504_flash.jpg

</span>
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

</span></span>

</span></span></span>

</span>

And here is my active work area: Amarone in the
primary, CC Rosso Fortissimo on the right, and a LaBodega Port hiding
in the middle.

</span>
20070119_105736_ondeck.jpg

This is my ageing cellar/closet: starting at 7:00 and going clockwise are:

an Elite Sauvignon/Simillon blend, a Blueberry with juice from Walkers,
a WE LE Trio Blanca, a CC Amarone, a MM Renaisance Chianti, and a CC
Pinot Nero. Not shown, but ageing in the Kitchen pantry, is an Orange
Chocolate Port.

20070119_110101_ageing.jpg

</span>

I would love to build a true wine cellar, but where I live the water table often rises within 3 feet of the surface.

Cheers

</span>

I started my MM Amarone a couple of days ago. temperature is a little low and so fermentation is not as active as you have shown. That suits me fine though. I'm going out of town and won't be back until day 8 to rack to secondary.

Good idea about the bran flakes.

Looks great Otto!

I use a regular old heating pad underneath my primary, set on low, and it works great. I monitor closely, though. Theycan bepricey, new, even at Walmart, but I found one at a thrift shop for a dollar -- and when I dawdled and looked it over, the lady behind the counter said "That's half price today!"
smiley36.gif
For 50 cents, you cant' go wrong!

Wow! wonderful pictures Otto. I know the area where you live. Really nice around there. I am kicking around the idea of bringing a backhoe over to my house and digging a "root cellar"really a wine cellar. I don't have the water tableproblems here at 613 feetabove sea level as you do around McComb. You have a great lookinggroup of carboys full of wine there.

Great looking bunch of wines there otto....I am intrigued by this orange chocolate port...what are your thoughts on it? Edited by: Waldo

IMHO, Waldo, the Orange Chocolate Port will be a unique dessert wine. The chocolate bouquet reminds me of chocolate covered cherries, which I have always loved. The orange is definitely overpowered by the chocolate. Although I have tasted it throughout production, it is only about two months into ageing, so I will have to wait a little longer for a final opinion. I would definitely not put the OC Port into the same class as the MM LaBodega, which is truly outstanding, even at this early stage of production.

Cheers

Wow Otto! All the wines you are making seem to mirror what I have produced. You have a great selection there.

Otto, really a nice assortment of wines! I too thought the Amarone is fantastic! I intend to bottle some little bottles of this one to test along the year so I won't be tempted to open that first full bottle early. This one I will definitely have to hide, (somewhere),and will definitely make another batch.

WOW! Those little 'yeastie beasties' must love Mosti Must. My Amarone hit 1.020 yesterday evening and is now residing in secondary, along with the oak. Three and a half days in primary seemed a little fast, but temperature stayed in MM's optimum range the entire time. As far as I can tell, the must never touched the lid of the fermenter.

Cheers

I was going to make a MM Amarone, but my customers keep buying them up before I can make them.
smiley19.gif

Help is on the way. I have another pallet of MM kits due in on Friday. Of course, BOTH of the Masters Editions are already sold. So much for trying to out guess the customer.
smiley5.gif

Back