Cellar Craft CC Showcase Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this kit this evening. I did a SG reading and it's showing an amazingly low number of 1.080 - I stirred the grape bag knowing it's also full of sugar. No change. I'll check again in the morning and hopefully wake up to it more like 1.100 Anyone else had this lower original gravity?

I started this kit this evening. I did a SG reading and it's showing an amazingly low number of 1.080 - I stirred the grape bag knowing it's also full of sugar. No change. I'll check again in the morning and hopefully wake up to it more like 1.100 Anyone else had this lower original gravity?

I started this kit 2 days ago and had the same reading. I ended up adding some sugar to bump up the SG.

I'm going to add sugar but I don't know how much or what type. Do you suggest raw sugar mixed in spring water?
I add table sugar right into the primary. I bumped the SG up to 1.100. That should be sufficient once you figure in the sugar that's in the grape pack.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of it this morning before stirring. Day 3 in fermenter. It has a beautiful, thick cap.20190131_084814.jpeg

fyi, I made this kit many times over the last 6 years or so. It's by far one of my fave kit wines. It really starts to hit its stride after about 2 years in the bottle. Saluti!

My CC Amarone was 1.102 after adding the grapeskin pack (2-3 hour). Sorry never took an sg before.

I'm going to add sugar but I don't know how much or what type. Do you suggest raw sugar mixed in spring water?

Pure cane sugar you buy anywhere is almost always the answer to the what kind. How much can be found at http://www.fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html or download the app for your phone. I assumed you might want to end up at 1.100 and have right at 6 gallons, so 3 lbs of sugar should get you really close.

I added 2 pounds of raw sugar made into a simple syrup. I hope it will be ok - even though I only added 16oz of water to the sugar it seemed to raise the must level quite a bit... Hopeful for a great wine in a couple of years...

Latest posts

Back