Cellar Craft CC Showcase Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, at 2 years out, which Amarone is superior? The Cellar Craft Showcase or the RJS Cellar Classics?

AMARONE King OF THE ITALIAN REDS

THE BASE IS THE SAUCE,IT'S WHAT YOU ADD AND WHEN YOU ADD IT, THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE,NOT THE KIT MANUFACTURE THE BASE IS THE BASE.REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF THE BASE.:mny WITH AMARONE THE TASTING NOTES ARE THE TASTING NOTES.:hugTHEY SHOULDn't CHANGE.:pic

Last edited:
I assume the CellarCraft Showcase Amarone is indeed 18L of juice?
Does it bring a grape skins pack? If so then I assume it is 16L of juice, plus the skins pack.

Paul,
how many liters of juice if you remember?

The pic in the above post shows 18L, but we all know manufacturers calculate the grape pack in that number, so again wondering if it is indeed 18L of juice or 16L.

Paul,
how many liters of juice if you remember?

The pic in the above post shows 18L, but we all know manufacturers calculate the grape pack in that number, so again wondering if it is indeed 18L of juice or 16L.

Notice I explicitly avoided that question!

It definitely was not 18 L. It was close to 16 L. I had to add about 7 L water to get near the 23 L mark on my bucket.

The "hedging" I am doing above is only because of the error bars in my measurements. I use a quart mason jar as my "liter" measuring cup, so I need to add about 7.5 quarts to be near 7 L. I don't measure more carefully than that. Next, hitting the mark on my fermenting bucket has about a +/- 1 L uncertainty to boot.

Adding to the mix

tricks to for the mind and eye to keep.:d notice the line mark out on the fermenter.

20130829_185205.jpg

Amarone is day 3 in primary. Never seen this much airlock activity. Constant bubbles. I'm keeping lid partially open during the day and stirring a lot, as the volume is way high due to the large grape skin bag. It's real close the lid, which concerns me some about depriving of needed oxygen. But, all looking good.

Opened the first bottle of our first attempt on this kit. It's at 13 months, and it's quite clear why people have been raving about this kit. Looking forward to the 2 to 3 year mark where it's been described as liquid silk...

Amarone is day 3 in primary. Never seen this much airlock activity. Constant bubbles. I'm keeping lid partially open during the day and stirring a lot, as the volume is way high due to the large grape skin bag. It's real close the lid, which concerns me some about depriving of needed oxygen. But, all looking good.

Had that high volume with the first grape skin pack kit I did. Instructions were to add water to bring up to 23L mark and then add pack. Result on first rack was a mess on the floor because it was more volume than my Italian 6+ gallon carboy could handle. The fact that I was looking into the bucket (near the end of the transfer) and not watching the carboy may have been a factor contributing to the spill. :i

With the last several grape skin kits I have started my batch below the 23L mark so that the end of primary and the pack is removed I'm at the 23L mark or perhaps just a bit over.

Last edited:
overflow

if you can the best way to avoid that is to use a open fermenter lots of room for the yeast to expand and oxygen to activate and better sg. Readings and better control of your work environment also and helps in the degassing process .Just my thoughts.

7 SG.jpg

8 adding yeast (2).jpg

9 Oak.jpg

10 the mix.jpg

11 makes 6 gals.jpg

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stupid question, but I thought this kit came with oak cubes, but I can't locate them in my supplies. It definitely came with oak chips, which I added in primary. Just don't see anymore oak. If like to add some more oak during bulk. I have Hungarian cubes left over and an American spiral. Which would you all recommend?

Those oak chips will definitely get a lot smaller. I was surprised the first time I used them in a Russian imperial stout I made a few years ago. Man that turned out awesome after a year in bottles.

Stupid question, but I thought this kit came with oak cubes, but I can't locate them in my supplies. It definitely came with oak chips, which I added in primary. Just don't see anymore oak. If like to add some more oak during bulk. I have Hungarian cubes left over and an American spiral. Which would you all recommend?

As I recall, all the oak goes into the primary on this kit. In looking at my notes from the previous times I have made this kit, I made no additions. For my taste buds, it is perfect just the way it is. IF I were to add anything, I would go with Hungarian cubes over the American spiral. Personally, I think this kit stands on its own without additional help.

I just made this recently. No, it does not come with oak cubes. Only oak dust for primary.

Thanks all. If none came with, I'm going with none added. Just some barrel time.

Just had our last bottle of 4+ yr old C C Amorone last night, Valentines Day. This is most awesome wine we have ever had, ours or store bought! A few wine diamonds in the last glass, AH, what a wine. Have28 bottles of 2 yr old C C Amorone in stock & just ordered a W E Amorone, Hope it's as good. Roy

Brian, I was planning on ordering a C C Armoroe but Doug was out of C C kits, so I thought I'd try the W E kit. Was thinking about getting the C C Kit elsewhere & doing them side by side with the same tweeks. Just bought 2 lbs of organic raisins at Trader Joes today for the 2 batches. Roy

Back