Mosti Mondiale Mosti Fresh Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Even though I can't get them from George I do have a local place in CT (close to Wade) to buy some fresh juice from Mosti Mondiale. Called in my order this morning and I will be making 4 of them:

Pinot Grigio (Italy)
Sauvignon Blanc (California)
Amarone (Italy)
Xinomavro (Greek)

Is anyone else getting any this time and which ones?

I have limited space until Mid-November while my house is being built. But I plan to order two pails. I'm leaning toward Cabernet Sauvignon and Moscato. On the latter, I plan to reserve two liters of juice to back sweeten for a dessert wine. Edited by: dfwwino

By the way, what is Xinomavro? That is one varietal of which I am totally ignorant. I also don't see it on George's list.

Mosti lists it as:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T><T><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
Origin: Mosti Mondiale Proprietary Blend, California</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
Xinomavro, (meaning "acid-black"), are known for their superb aging potential and their rich tannic character. Their complex aromas combine such red fruits as gooseberry with hints of olives, spices and dried tomatoes.</TD></TR></T></T></T></T></T></TABLE>

The retailer I am buying this from lists the juicefrom Greece

A Google search produced this:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width=415>
<DIV align=center>
Xinomavro is the noblest red grape variety of northern Greece.
A quite robust and productive variety forming average-sized bunches of conical, or even aliform, shape. The bunch is dense and the grapes are of average size, spherical, with a thick blue-black skin but colorless juice. In cooler (mountainous) areas like Amyndeon, where there is a small yield per vine, Xinomavro is capable of offering rich red wines, full, high in alcohol content, with good color, and enough tannins to assist in a lengthy aging.
Profile of the variety
Looking at the color one can ascertain that the red wines made from Xinomavro have a pleasant ruby and somewhat purplish color. The younger wines have iodine tinges and are primarily plum-colored, shifting towards a brick-red color as they age. They offer a complex nose, dominated by spices, red fruits and tomato in various forms; ketchup, sweet tomato, fresh tomato- especially present in younger wines. The aged wines acquire more hints of spice as well as animal (leather) aromas. In the mouth Xinomavro can offer wines with medium to full body. Their acidity, combined with the strong tannins, shows that these wines often necessitate aging before consumption. Wines made from Xinomavro are smoothed by aging, while remaining robust.
Xinomavro in the Press
From Decanter february 2005 issue: Andrew Jefford writes: I can think of no grape anywhere in the world (though Carignan and Nebbiolo come close) which produces good and sometimes profound wines of such striking unmodernity. Like conversations in a Henry James novel, they hesitate, they suggest, they prefigure and insinuate, but never insist. There is an outline of fruited warmth in the aroma, there is an undertow of fruited strength in the flavour. Definitely a delicious astringency, but also a delicate astringency, just enough to clean the palate and hurry the food along. Naturally articulated, at all times; bitter-edged, like life. Europe in a glass. Homer's wine.

From Decanter september 2004 issue: Xinomavro the distinctive red grape of northern Greece, typically shows flavours of red fruit, black olive and tomato, and is likened to Nebbiolo by many. 'Xinomavro has the most fantastic nose', says Mary Pateras from Eclectic Wines (UK) 'and is funky, new and interesting. I think in time it will become a top-class grape'. Nico Manessis 'It's certainly the most interesting red grape in Greece, and has standout personality', it reminds me of the Piedmontese Nebiolo's from the 1970's'.

From the World Atlas of Wine (Hugh Johnson, Jancis Robinson): Northern Greece is the area with perhaps the most unrealised potential. This is red wine country, dominated by one variety: Xinomavro, whose wines are some of the most impressive of Greece. With age the best-made wines can acquire a bouquet as haunting as all but the finest Barolo, although many wineries here in the north are still poorly equipped. Amyndeo is so cool that it can produce aromatic whites, a denominated rose and fine sparkling wine. </TD>
<TD width=41></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

This wine certainly sounds perfect to serve with a nice homemade pizza covered with plenty of toppings including olives and sun dried tomatoes!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: masta

Thank you for all the info. Very informative. I actually own a hard back of the World Atlas of Wine, but it is in storage along with most of my stuff while we wait for our new home to be finished. In just over two months, I get all my stuff back and can revamp my winemaking operations.

I guess I'll have to bug George and see why he's not offering this grape varietal. Normally, if I had space, I'd be making all the lesser know varietals. But my wine is depleted and I need a good batch of Cab. Sauv. and I really enjoy an after dinner Muscat. I really can't wait for the Spring Chile frozen juices when I'll have the space to store as many pails as I like.

Bet you cant wait to be all set up in a new home DF. Did you have it designed with wine making in mind like a room set aside for this and or a cellar?

You know, I am on my second marriage now. When I built my former house in marriage no. 1, I had a 7X10X10 wine room built with cooling unit, a 120-vine vineyard, and an orchard. This time, I am buying a non-custom home, but the 18-yr old's room will be confiscated for a wine room once I boot her out in four years. I already have it all planned and the plumbing is accessible from her room to add a utility sink. In the meantime, I'll be using a corner of a game room. And since I no longer have 3 acres but a regular lot, I'll be planting just two peach trees, 14 vines and a small garden.

Sounds like a good plan. We have to make do with what we have, until we win the lottery!
7_15_2.gif
23_2_62.gif

Latest posts

Back