More help needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnut

Reaction score
I was going to bottle up some Fredonia today and after the first two bottles I noticed how hazy the wine was. So I put it back in the carboy to set for a few more days. Now what I dont understand is why it was as bad as it was, since I just back sweetened it and racked it last Sunday. This wine was made from Walkers juice. I followed the directions to the "T". Another thing that I didnt do was degas the wine after primary. No where in the directions does it say to do this. Is this step not necessary for some reason with this juice. Sorry so many rookie questions. Ken

Could need to be degassed.

Did you follow "If you prefer to bottle a wine that has been sweetened, add Sorbistat K (potassium sorbate) and Metabisulfite to prohibit any renewed fermentation." in the instructions. If not you may have a re ferment going on.

I think they figure on aging in the carboy long enough for the wine to degas on its own, before bottling.

Is there any bubbling going on in the air lock? Try putting some in a small container and shaking it. If its gas it will fizz.

I checked SG last week when I back sweetened and again today, there is no fermentation taking place. Can I degas now?

Latest posts

Back