Moles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of moles. They are tearing up my little vineyard. I have already lost one vignoles vine and don't care to lose any more.

BOB
smiley19.gif

We also had a serious problem with them in our yard eating bulbs and other plants. Being on a smaller scale I put down grubx to get rid of the main food source. I think the biggest help was the neighbor got two outdoor cats and that helped out a lot. I some very large botanical gardens like Longwood in Philadelphia they let cats roam free for this exact reason. Depending on the size of your vineyard this may not help and depending on your location putting out cats just help feed the coyotes.

I've heard that moles are susceptible to sonic repellants. Not sure how that works, I've never had to deal with them myself, but that's just what I've heard!

Are they moles or gophers? We have gophers in our part of the country and they are all around me except my yard (knocks on wood).....

The only difference is I have a large dog and I often wonder if his scent or daily droppings keep them away somehow.

I know they have traps, and I have seen propane "bombs" that backfill the hole with propane gas and then a spark ignites the gas and "snuffs out" the little buggers. That one actually sounds like fun!

Alternatively you could try this approach!
smiley36.gif

20100609_093919_caddyshack.jpg

You may have already thought of this, but maybe call a feed store in your area for ideas. Good luck getting rid of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple remedy is to get a box of mothballs. You scatter them around the infected area and the moles, voles and mice leave. Sounds strange, but give it a try- what does a box cost- a few bucks?

My 2 neighbors 100 yards up the street installed the sonic gizmo's. 10 days later no sign of moles. You could see them walking down the street with their little backpacks heading to my yard.
smiley7.gif

appleman said:
A simple remedy is to get a box of mothballs. You scatter them around the infected area and the moles, voles and mice leave. Sounds strange, but give it a try- what does a box cost- a few bucks?

This also works very well if you have skunks around your house. Of course if you have skunks you have grubs as that is what they eat and this is also what the moles are eating.

My Grandpa used to plant a plant called Gopher Purge in his garden. I don't know if its poisonous or they just don't like it, but it worked.

BikerShannon said:
My Grandpa used to plant a plant called Gopher Purge in his garden. I don't know if its poisonous or they just don't like it, but it worked.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=5 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD width="42%">
Gopher Purge or Mole Plant contains a latex like milky sapthat is found in the roots, leaves and flowers.
Poinsettias are members of the same genus and contain the same kind of sticky sap which can cause skin irritation in sensitive people. This caustic substance is not a repellant but a contact irritant. The varmint must chew the roots to become ill or die. In order to protect plants from gophers or moles, a thick stand of Euphorbia planted in the gopher's main tunnel is necessary. And, because it dies every two years, it is necessary to be vigilant and replant or your precious protected plant becomes exposed.</TD>
<TD width="43%">
euplathryusyoungplant.jpg
</TD>
<TD rowSpan=3 width="12%">

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="42%">
euplathyrisnewplants.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="43%">Fortunately, Gopher Purge (sometimes called Gopher Spurge) reseeds readily. Sprouting in the early spring,small plants can be easily transplanted from the ground to the desired location. Or, you can leave it alone and let it naturalize itself.

In the photo below, you can see the unusual flower buds of Gopher Purge. After these open and set seeds they will turn brown. If you do want seedlings, you may leave the pods to fall or collect them.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Yep, the mothballs do work for both skunks and moles, My parents use them for the moles and I use them for the skunks as my dog ept getting nailed every year a few times a year until I heard of this and put them down a few times a year when they are typically n season, works like a charm and havent seen any in 2 years now!

Latest posts

Back