Mold?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyday

Reaction score
I just did my check on one of my wines (plum) and it looks like there is some dark colored growth in the neck of the carboy. Could this be mold? It sort of looks like a scobi...

I am reracking that and a number of wines in the next week or two, but all have been properly sulfited (1 campden per gallon). Thoughts? I'll add pics in the morning, it's too dark down there to get a good look at them right now.

If you can get to it, rub some between your fingers - if it feels rubbery, it probably is mould; if it smears like butter, it isn't but more probably yeast or something else.

I'm with Runningwolf. Prob. sediment clumped and floating in the neck. I get those here and there.

I would rack your wine now if it is fermentation in complete. It may just be some sediment that is in suspenension.

Fermentation completed around 3 months ago, this is the first racking. I was going to taste and possibly filter/bottle, but now I may rerack...

How much room is there between your wine and the neck and did you add sufites when fermentation was done?

Could be a clump of Kmeta or sorbate, if they were added previously?

How much room is there between your wine and the neck and did you add sufites when fermentation was done?

None; there's about an inch or two between the wine and the airlock. And yes, i added campden tabs...

Back