Mold/Mildew On Top Of Cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
I bottled some blackberry wine in December using a floor corker and #8 size new corks. The bottles have been stored on their sides. After opening a couple of the bottles, I noticed most of the cork was wet, like the wine was seeping out. All bottles have plastic capsules over the end of the bottles. The last bottle I took the capsule off had this mold or mildew looking gray and yellow fuzz growing on top of the cork. After removing the cork, it was mostly wet along the sides. I'm guessing wine is leaking out past the corks into the capsule. I soaked the corks in sanitizer prior to corking. What can I do to prevent this next time or correct this batch? Thanks.

IMG_20120131_195143.jpg

The bottles are leaking because the #8 cork is too small.

A #8 is a barely-get-by size,pretty small in diameter. If you are using bottles with standard sized necks, you should be using the #9 cork.

I would consider recorking all the bottle you have left with a #9.

Makes sense to me. The local HBS suggested the corks. I'll be recorking with a #9. Thanks for the info.

After corking, dip the bottle top into melted wax. :thg Cheers, Tony.

Just Lurve those smilies!

Last edited:
If you are using a dble lever hand corker your brew store most likely suggested these corks because #9 corks can be tough to insert with a hand corker! Do yourself a favor and get a floor corker and good #9x1.75 corks. Also, if you soaked those corks thats abad idea and can result in this also.

Wade, I am using a floor corker rented from the same HBS.

BWS, since our climate is mild, no homes have heaters, some have window AC units for summer. Central AC is hard to justify over here. I live in an older platation house, single sided, so we can't really control the temps. Temps are a little too cool to ferment right now so I have to do my brewing in the spring/summer. 70s in the winter, 80s/90s in the summer, w/o much humidity.

Wade, I am using a floor corker rented from the same HBS.

BWS, since our climate is mild, no homes have heaters, some have window AC units for summer. Central AC is hard to justify over here. I live in an older platation house, single sided, so we can't really control the temps. Temps are a little too cool to ferment right now so I have to do my brewing in the spring/summer. 70s in the winter, 80s/90s in the summer, w/o much humidity.

Buy yourself a brew belt and you can safely and easily get the temperature of the must up to a good level for fermentation. I ferment in a room that never gets above 65F. I have two brew belts.

Thats a good idea. I'd be able brew year round. I just bottled 25 blackberry and 25 lilikoi bottles. After giving to friends, family, neighbors, etc. the batch doesnt last long.

70's for the winter! 70's is perfect! If you are using a floor corker then there is no problem at all using 9 x 1.75 corks. I would have thought you had high humidity as thats usually the problem when you see corks like that! I think the upgrade in corks will resolve your problem and hopefully it didnt ruin this batch!

When I say 70s, I mean daytime temps. It can routinely be in the 60s and even high/mid 50s at night. Very mild for a winter but not so great for primary fermentation. With a brew belt, I can have consistant temps around the clock.

Back