Accidentally put 2 corks in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raelynn

Reaction score
It was our first time bottling and I got distracted and put an already corked bottle into the floor press. 🤦‍♀️ The first cork is mostly submerged in wine now. Is this bottle still fine to age a few months and we can worry about getting the cork out after we drink the wine?

It was our first time bottling and I got distracted and put an already corked bottle into the floor press. 🤦‍♀️ The first cork is mostly submerged in wine now. Is this bottle still fine to age a few months and we can worry about getting the cork out after we drink the wine?
I agree with @ratflinger, uncork the bottle now, pour the wine into a new bottle and cork it. You may have difficulty getting the inner cork out. I would push it into the bottle, pour the wine into another bottle and then address that "cork in the bottle" issue later. If you really need the bottle and are adventurous, you can get the cork out, but it takes some doing. I have done it with a piece of clothes hanger, bent with a hook on the end. I upended the bottle with the hook end of my clothes hanger inside, the cork dropped to the neck of the bottle, and I stuck the hook end into the back of the cork and pulled it into the neck far enough to get a corkscrew into it. Frankly, I did it more to see if I could than to recover the bottle, but it worked.

I would uncork it & transfer it to another bottle.
I was unable to get the 1st cork out, because it's in the bottle. Will the wine be contaminated if I use a (sterilized) chopstick to push the cork out of the way so I can pour the wine into a different bottle?

I was unable to get the 1st cork out, because it's in the bottle. Will the wine be contaminated if I use a (sterilized) chopstick to push the cork out of the way so I can pour the wine into a different bottle?
When you upend the bottle, the cork will float to the "bottom" of the bottle which is on top when upended. You can pour out the wine easily.

I have used a long screw driver to break up a cork that was pushed into the bottle (do this after removing the wine, of course)

I have a hi-tech cork thief:

cork thief.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but it does the job. @Rocky's idea with a coat hanger is the same idea, although it lacks a handle.

Put the tine(s) of the thief in the bottle. Tilt it upward so the cork fall down along side the tine(s). It may be necessary to shake the bottle to get the cork end-wise into the neck. Gently pull (it will take a bit of effort) and the cork will come out.

Latest posts

Back