MLF question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
I started a package of VP 41 tonight. It says it is good for up to 50 gallons. I only have 8 gallons of wine to inoculate. Should I only add the portion that would be for 8 gallons or is it alright to pitch all of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Add it all unless you have another use for it. There is no harm in too much other than the cost.

There's no harm in pitching all of it. I've read that if you store it in the freezer, it'll be good. Though the producers of MLB say it can't be stored.

Thanks! That's what I thought but wanted to confirm.

I have also read you can store it although the manufacturer says not to. I have not tried to store it myself, I just purchase a fresh one.

I pitched the MLF last night along with Opti-Malo. When I did there was an instant reaction. Lots of bubbles similar to opening a shaken soda. Is this normal? It lasted for just a minute and then went away.

That is fairly normal. Your wine is young and full of CO2. You just have it many very small nucleation sites, those are places where it is easier for a bubble to form. And just as soon as it forms, that nucleation site goes away. I am sure someone with a better chemistry understanding than my own will have a more accurate explanation of what happened, but that is how I think of it.

Back