Quantcast

MLF culture hydrate

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

sdelli

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever hydrated the culture before pitching? I usually just pitch with Optimalo... My success rate in doing a hydrate with yeast gives me almost a perfect score in fermentation... Can it be duplicated with mlf? VP31 and VP41

whackfol

Reaction score
I typically split one package of MLB between a couple of different wines. Most are packaged in 2.5g packages and treat 225L/ 60G. Rehydrating makes this easier. I rehydrate with water, Acti-ML, and the MLB. The instructions are on Scott's site. I've never had any trouble getting ML started either sprinkling dry into the wine or rehydrating.

Johny99

Reaction score
I typically split one package of MLB between a couple of different wines. Most are packaged in 2.5g packages and treat 225L/ 60G. Rehydrating makes this easier. I rehydrate with water, Acti-ML, and the MLB. The instructions are on Scott's site. I've never had any trouble getting ML started either sprinkling dry into the wine or rehydrating.
I do the same, following Morewine's instructions, for the same reason. It is much easier to pipet it into several Carboys or small barrels.

Donz

Reaction score
Has anyone ever hydrated the culture before pitching? I usually just pitch with Optimalo... My success rate in doing a hydrate with yeast gives me almost a perfect score in fermentation... Can it be duplicated with mlf? VP31 and VP41
I rehydrate VP41 with clean bottled water and spread throughout my fermenting tanks equally. Worked great this year with co inoculation. MLF done in 3 weeks.

Latest posts