MLF culture hydrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
Has anyone ever hydrated the culture before pitching? I usually just pitch with Optimalo... My success rate in doing a hydrate with yeast gives me almost a perfect score in fermentation... Can it be duplicated with mlf? VP31 and VP41

I typically split one package of MLB between a couple of different wines. Most are packaged in 2.5g packages and treat 225L/ 60G. Rehydrating makes this easier. I rehydrate with water, Acti-ML, and the MLB. The instructions are on Scott's site. I've never had any trouble getting ML started either sprinkling dry into the wine or rehydrating.

I typically split one package of MLB between a couple of different wines. Most are packaged in 2.5g packages and treat 225L/ 60G. Rehydrating makes this easier. I rehydrate with water, Acti-ML, and the MLB. The instructions are on Scott's site. I've never had any trouble getting ML started either sprinkling dry into the wine or rehydrating.

I do the same, following Morewine's instructions, for the same reason. It is much easier to pipet it into several Carboys or small barrels.

Has anyone ever hydrated the culture before pitching? I usually just pitch with Optimalo... My success rate in doing a hydrate with yeast gives me almost a perfect score in fermentation... Can it be duplicated with mlf? VP31 and VP41

I rehydrate VP41 with clean bottled water and spread throughout my fermenting tanks equally. Worked great this year with co inoculation. MLF done in 3 weeks.

Back