MERLOT/RASPBERRY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
A good day to do 'Wine Maintenance' ....bottled a couple batches...and racked the Nanking Cherry and the Crabapple/Apple wines...they are both coming along nicely.

choresSmall.jpg

Empty Carboys = New Wines

Time to get back in the RED ZONE</font>

~~~~~~~~~~MERLOT/RASPBERRY~~~~~~~~~~~

2 CANS ALEXANDER'S MERLOT CONCENTRATE
2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
7 tsp ACID BLEND
5 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
7 1/2# SUGAR
4 QUARTS RASPBERRY JUICE. [steam extracted...8#]
4 oz DARK TOASTED OAK
2 VANILLA BEANS

Water to 6 1/2 gallons and S.G. 1.088.

TOMORROW...
ADD:
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
LALVIN RC-212 YEAST

merlotSmall.jpg

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

Making me feel guilty. I have quite a bit of wine maintenance to do as well. Have 4 batches to rack or bottle. I have around 20 cases bottled that I need to make labels for. I had actually thought about doing it today but I ended up making a batch of the Brew House Pilsner beer, a 5 gallon batch of root beer for the kids and the tedious task of cleaning beer lines and faucets. So I guess I did have quite a productive day. Thank goodness wine is a slow moving entity.

PolishWineP said:
Laissea les bon temps roulez! Mmmm...
smiley4.gif

That would be

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

that A and Z are pretty close on the keyboard huh?
smiley36.gif
Of course I say it different. I say

Laissez Les Bons Biers Rouler
smiley2.gif

GEORGEEEEEEEE !!! I think PWP and smurfe are a cussing on the forum
smiley4.gif

Great looking wines NW. That Merlot/Rasberry recipe sounds great. Have you done it before? How was it?

Waldo...I did a Raspberry wine before and used 1 can of Merlot instead of the 2 bottles of red grape concentrate....It was thin, didn't have any red grape concentrate at the time so tried 1 can instead of 2 bottles.

I have done a Cabernet Sauvignon /Raspberry and is was very nice...and recently did a Burgundy/Strawberry and really liked it as well....used about the same recipe on those two.

I might try a Merlot [same recipe] but try a few quarts of chokecherry juice.

Then....have thought of getting an inexpensive kit and put in some quarts of fruit juice...

So many thoughts...so many wines....so little time...

It's all good tho.

Northern Winos said:
Waldo...I did a Raspberry wine before and used 1 can of Merlot instead of the 2 bottles of red grape concentrate....It was thin, didn't have any red grape concentrate at the time so tried 1 can instead of 2 bottles.

I have done a Cabernet Sauvignon /Raspberry and is was very nice...and recently did a Burgundy/Strawberry and really liked it as well....used about the same recipe on those two.

I might try a Merlot [same recipe] but try a few quarts of chokecherry juice.

Then....have thought of getting an inexpensive kit and put in some quarts of fruit juice...

So many thoughts...so many wines....so little time...

It's all good tho.

I love experimenting NW. I just did a Black Currant/Elderberry that turned out pretty danged good and have a gallon of Muscadine/Elderberry fermenting now.

Yesterday evening, when I pitched the yeast onto this wine I swear it was starting to ferment on it's own...
smiley3.gif
It had small amounts of foam around the top of the bucket...little bubbles were rising.....

Anyone else ever had this feeling???

It's going strong today....

merlotSmall-1.jpg

Another day that 'Wine Maintenance' was to be done.....

Racked this wine and had a nice 'sample'....I had put toasted oak chips in the fermentation bucket and also in the secondary .....It really has turned into a nice wine....

Will have to do another Merlot/Raspberry at some point this summer....and I think from now on won't be as scared about leaving oak in the wines longer than I had been doing....this was a tad over one month and is very nice.

Bottled the Merlot/Raspberry yesterday, took a small taste and found it to be very nice....can hardly wait till I can drink again and really enjoy a good glass of it.

Got the labels on this morning....

merlotSmall-2.jpg

Thats awful NW, all that good wine and you cant drink it. Not the reason for aging you wine but I guess you have to take the bad with the good huh!

It tasted pretty good...my 'taster' is a little off lately...
No food tastes good any more....been craving BBQ ribs....got to make a run to the city real soon.
smiley4.gif

This wine is REALLY GOOD!!!!

I have had a problem of swallowing wine [due to health issues]...this one is going down good...Smooth and lovely.

I am planning on making a Blueberry/Pinot Noir as one of my next wines....will follow this recipe....Yum!!!

As well I have bought more Merlot juice and have plenty of Raspberry juice on hand....this wine will be made again this winter...

So many wines to make....but a long winter lies ahead....
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

We all know you will keep busy over the winter- you just need to stay busy no matter your health. I hope you get lots of batches made. Go heavy on the blueberries in this one. You don't want the Pinot to hide it! Better use some of those wild ones you guys worked so hard to get this year.

Latest posts

Back