Mosti Mondiale Meglioli question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I'm going to start my Meglioli tomorrow but I noticed when I opened the box that the spout is not at the top like other kits I've had--it's about halfway down the side. I usually just pull the cap off and use my autosiphon but I'm afraid if I do that I'll lose some of the juice between the time I get the cap off and get the siphon started. Maybe I need to turn the box on its side? Is there a trick to this. I sure don't want to lose any.

I would see if you can wrestle it back to where it belongs, if not since you are going to siphon it anyway then just opening the side will be fine.

Don't be afraid of the bag breaking when moving it around as then are fairly strong. When making kits I pull the bag out of the box and then remove the cover and pour. With the large kits like the Meglioli I have to ask for assistance to hold the primary so it doesn't move when pouring.

Sometimes instead of pulling the bag around so that the spout is at the top I cut the exposed corner that's sitting high and use an auto siphon to drain it. I find them just too big to handle.

I noticed the same thing, and still haven't decided just what I am going to do. My wine making table is 30 x 60 inches, so I could just dump the bag out, but the table is currently crowded with 6 gal of chard, 6 gal of mourvedre/grenache, 6 gal of green apple reisling, an eight bottle cooler, and a radio. <g>

"Moonwatcher wasn't sure what he would do next, but he would think of something." - A. C. Clarke

I did as Wade said - just opened the side of the box and siphoned from there. Worked great!

I quickly decided struggling with the bag was not an option (I have very little upper body strength) so I resealed the top, shifted it over and opened the side slowly and extremely carefully. No problems after that. Didn't spill any. It's warming up now with a heat belt as my basement is still very cool.

I could have asked my husband for help but I figure he did his part when Fedex delivered to the wrong house (which was unoccupied and we didn't know it was there till I went searching the next day since they claimed it had been delivered) and he had to go get it for me being very careful as the box had been drenched with rain so it tended to want to fall apart with all that weight (I hate Fedex here).

I pitched the yeast Sunday, added the raisins Monday. Here it is just Thurs and I decided to ck the s.g. --it said 1.002 which I thought must be wrong. I then got my narrow range hydrometer and checked and it said the same thing. That was quick fermenting. Kinda overshot the target there. Oh well, I proceeded as instructed.
Does anyone know what kind of oak that is--this is the Rojo Intenso and there was a package of light, dark and medium in color but it doesn't say if it's American, Hungarian, or French.?

Jackie, I started my Meglioli Cab Sav yesterday. The spout was on the side. These bags are pretty durable. I had no trouble sliding the spout to the top.
Used my auto-siphon to transfer juice from bag to bucket. easy peasy!

Good luck on your wine!!
smiley17.gif

Back