Measuring Sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
I've already added 4 tsp of sorbate to my wine when racking off the secondary (it was at 0.996-0.997 for a while). I also added about 1/4 + 1/8 tsp K-meta. (This was at 8.5 gallons before racking).

The sorbate looks like white jimmies (like you'd put on ice cream). A tsp of the sorbate out of the jar is MUCH DIFFERENT than a tsp of it after it's been crushed.

My questions are:

Should I be measuring teaspoons before or after it's powdered?
How many grams are in your tsp of sorbate?

Thank you!

Ive never crushed it! You should be measuring it without crushing and then just dissolving it in water or wine.

Thanks! I measured without crushing, figuring I could always add more (can't un-add, after all).

I did crush it (with the k-meta), then dissolved it into a small amount of warm water... added wine to mix, then added all the wine. Crushing the sorbate doesn't break it in any way?

Sorbate disolves quick just like the sulphite. All they need is a few drops of water/wine. For large batches I will use tablespoons to be a little more acurate . 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon.

Also, 1/2tsp per gallon. So, if 6 gal batch = 3tsp. Only need to add this once to your wine.

Latest posts

Back