mead virgin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
have been making wine for awhile. never mead. just got a free bucket of hoeny about 10 gallons. ready to make some meads was going to make different flavored 1 gallon batches and i like my drinks on the strong side so whats a good rule of thumb on how much hoeny for a 1 gl batch any other advice would be welcome:fsh

I would estimate that one pound of honey diluted to one gallon of must supports a gravity of about 1.036. Mazers typically try for astronomical gravities but if you treat mead like wine then you are looking for about 2.5- 3 lbs of honey per gallon for a gravity of about 1.090 - 1.100 (or about 12 -13.5% ABV). Not certain but 2.5 lbs of honey is about 1.5 pints

Last edited:
Shoot for enough honey to give you around 12% potential unless you are shooting for a sack mead. I don't really feel like crunching out how much honey that is per gallon this very moment (lazy) but you can find all sorts of approximations of points per lb per gallon of honey out there. Most advice fermenting mead cold to preserve the aromatics. Do not boil or heat it very much, do not adjust acid prior ferment because honey must are prone to large PH swings.. Also, be sure to supplement the nutrients because honey is very poor nutritionally.

You like it strong? Well that I do. Might want to talk about it cuz I AM NOT THAT GOOD A TYPING OUT INSTRUCTION. I will pm you my phone number. I make some meads up to 22% AND AS LOW AS 12%. kEEP HITTING CAP LOCK WITH CAST

Latest posts

Back