Mead question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutya

Reaction score
I have a batch of Strawberry Mead in secondary. It is still fermenting like crazy. The SG was 1.002 last week. This has been sitting for over 2 months. Does it normally take that long???? It's still pretty thick looking???

It can take that long since it depends on the amount of nutrients and type of honey used.

At 1.002 it is close to completion.

Masta, it's still bubbling like crazy??? I used clover honey...

Everytime I've done anything strawberry related, i've had very long vigorous fermentations that have always gone to full dry (0.990). I'd just keep it under airlock and let it do its thing.

My Peach Mead was started the first week of January and continued to bubble 'til the later part of Feb at a good pace then slowed down for a few more weeks. Lots of fermentables to go through, but so worth the wait!! After finally finishing the fermentation, after racking, I added fresh ginger root and left until I noticed the flavor in it. I just recently racked for(hopefully) the last time for clearing just last week and will "plan" to leave in the carboy for another 2-3 months before bottling. That is if I can stand to leave it alone that long.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back