WineXpert Maybe a stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1973

Reaction score
A while back I started the White Merlot I had bought and had sitting around for a while (just a couple months). Its been over 2 weeks since the 1st racking and the SG hasn't changed much since then. Was about 1.010 when I racked and its only at about 1.000 now and doesn't seem to be working anymore. Its supposed to be .996 to degas, add the F Pack, etc. Should I stir the lees on the bottom to try to re-suspend the yeast or just wait a bit longer?
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!! I'm bottling my Beaujolis tomorrow I think!

Close enough in my book for this type of wine as those are just estimates where they will finish and not an exact measure. Did you calibrate your hydrometer to be sure as they can get out of whack with an accidental tap sometimes as they are just a pce of paper stuck in a glass tube.

I agree with Wad. If you got it to 1.000 and it hasn't moved, it is probably done. Not enough sugar left in it to worry about. The white merlot will be nice with just that slight bit of residual sugar in it- if you hydrometer is accurate. Like Wade says the temps can influence it a bit.

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better about it now! On to the next step in the next couple days I guess!!

Just make sure it is the same before you move on by checking the SG again. Have you calibrated your hydrometer by testing in water. It should read 1.000 at 60*. If it is not then just make a note of what the difference is and adjust accordingly and dble check once and awhile.

wade said:
Just make sure it is the same before you move on by checking the SG again. Have you calibrated your hydrometer by testing in water. It should read 1.000 at 60*. If it is not then just make a note of what the difference is and adjust accordingly and dble check once and awhile.

I will do that tomorrow, thanks for the tips!

I just confirmed Wade and Appleman's advice.
Thought I had a stuck fermentation. Had transfered to secondary at SG=1.024 and hadn't seen a single bubble in the air lock for several days. But, I could smell the must workingeven if there didn't appear to be any bubbling. Sure enough, when I checked SG yesterday it was at .993 so things were happenening as they were supposed to.

Latest posts

Back