Stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there a ton of info here. I suspect my skeeter pee of being stuck. It's been a the same sg for about 1.5 days. 1.024.
I also noticed the vigorous bubbling stopped and it appears to use be fizzing. Should i wait longer before I take action?
I've also just had it covered with a t-shirt, I'm not sure if that would effect anything.
Thanks

Fizzing is still good… what was the original SG and pH? Covered with a T-shirt is just fine. Did you add any nutrients and/or use a starter with your yeast? Have you checked the temperature as well? Lots of questions but hopefully they will lead to a bunch of answers!

Fizzing is still good… what was the original SG and pH? Covered with a T-shirt is just fine. Did you add any nutrients and/or use a starter with your yeast? Have you checked the temperature as well? Lots of questions but hopefully they will lead to a bunch of answers!
It was 1.080, I added nutrient(fermaid o)and energizer. I made a starter with ec1118 and the temp is 71f and ph was 2.89(very low)

The SG not moving for a day-and-a-half is not necessarily a problem. Are you stirring? Give it another day or 2.

The pH is on the edge of "too low" and is likely a problem. I'm not sure I'd add anything to neutralize acid during fermentation, although the idea of diluting the must to raise the pH just a point might be considered.

The SG not moving for a day-and-a-half is not necessarily a problem. Are you stirring? Give it another day or 2.

The pH is on the edge of "too low" and is likely a problem. I'm not sure I'd add anything to neutralize acid during fermentation, although the idea of diluting the must to raise the pH just a point might be considered.
I stirred it this am and it has dropped to 1.020 so maybe I'm ok. It has slowed drastically though. It went from 1.080 to 1.050 in a day once it started fermenting.

I stirred it this am and it has dropped to 1.020 so maybe I'm ok. It has slowed drastically though. It went from 1.080 to 1.050 in a day once it started fermenting.
Yeast does its own thing, and it's normal for a rapid ferment to slow down during the last quarter. If the SG is dropping, things are ok.

Back