Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were talking about sweetening. Make sure you stabilize it before you sweeten. If not the ferment will probably kick back in and you do not want that happening in the bottles. Stabilizing is just adding k-meta and pot. sorbate. You can just sweeten a glass and not have to stabilize beforehand to get a handle on what it is going to taste like. Arne.

You were talking about sweetening. Make sure you stabilize it before you sweeten. If not the ferment will probably kick back in and you do not want that happening in the bottles. Stabilizing is just adding k-meta and pot. sorbate. You can just sweeten a glass and not have to stabilize beforehand to get a handle on what it is going to taste like. Arne.

Thanks Arne, yes, I understand I will have to wait a while for the back sweetening process. When fermenting stops, I will be able to tell this? Or is it always automatically stopped with the potassium?

When we were putting it into the carboys, I got a taste and it didn't taste bad just nothing like the vibrant taste it had to start with. Was just kind of wondering if sweetening is going to bring that taste back.

So if I understand correctly, maybe the next time we have to rack it, I can put some in a glass with a bit of sugar and that will give me an idea of what its going to taste like?

Fermentation stops when the yeast don't have food.
Your hydrometer will tell you this. Reading lower than 1.000 and stable three or fgor days
Then we hit it with a k meta dose and a bit of potassium sorbet. This stops ( doesn't kill )the yeast from restarting on the sugar we are going to add.
When to taste it be mindful of all the co2.
Stir shake and let sit a while then taste.

Uh - maybe not NEXT time you rack. Sugar will bring back some of the taste - but it's not going to taste like fresh rhubarb. Same as apples off the tree don't taste like apple wine. It's now something else and will taste like something else.

You will need to rack it a couple more times - maybe 3-6 months from now we can go all meet up and back sweetening. I usually wait for it to clear, then add the potassium sorbate and another does of k-meta, THEN add the sweetening. IF it needs it.

Using simple syrup is better than adding dry sugar. And you will need to do it a measurable SMALL quantity first - so you can get the taste you want then extrapolate to get the right amount for the whole batch.

What is the sg now?

Oh my gosh Opus, this recipe looks amazing!! And it's with honey, how exciting is that!

Don't have those but I could probably improvise with what's here? These are the peppers I'm currently growing:

Hot Hungarian
Crimson Hot
Hot Red Cherry
Super Chili
Thai Dragon
Cayenne
And my two favorites, Habanaros and Bhut Jolokia (aka Ghost Peppers).

Good lord woman, your going to burn the house down!

Using simple syrup is better than adding dry sugar. And you will need to do it a measurable SMALL quantity first - so you can get the taste you want then extrapolate to get the right amount for the whole batch.What is the sg now?

Agree. I also like 100% White Grape Juice or concentrate to use for back sweetening.

Hi folks. Haven't gone anywhere. Computer systems are being updated and the Geeks are transferring data. They will be here tomorrow to reinstall everything. Will be back online shortly

Off topic, just noticed, under my name, it says Senior Member, how did that happen?

Something or someone doesn't seem to be aware of my skill level. That could be completely misleading, should I happen to post something and someone like me saw it, thinking it was coming from someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Is there someone to contact to change that.

It should say something like "newly born member", just out of the fetus stage.

Haha I always thought that 'senior member' told everyone you were over 60 years..

Ahhh, finally back online. Not fun being without a computer but appreciating the upgrades now. :)

So this information:

Fermentation stops when the yeast don't have food.
Your hydrometer will tell you this. Reading lower than 1.000 and stable three or fgor days

And:

Using simple syrup is better than adding dry sugar. And you will need to do it a measurable SMALL quantity first - so you can get the taste you want then extrapolate to get the right amount for the whole batch.

What is the sg now?

Ok, based on what you guys have said here, I now understand the sweetening process, this makes a lot of sense. You will let me know when it’s time to do this.

And this:

When to taste it be mindful of all the co2.
Stir shake and let sit a while then taste.

If this is the stuff that I got a whiff of in the first batch I messed up, that stuff was awful. Did not feel good for about a ½ hour after that. Will definitely take note of this.

And should I take a reading? You mean unplug it, put some in the wine stealer and take the reading? Our PH reader wasn't in yet, they said it should be here Monday. Should we take that reading too?

It’s starting to clear up. There is about an inch of sediment on the bottom now. Had a little discussion with hubby about racking it, when the time comes, and he asked, what are we going to put it in? Had the answer. :)

Last edited:
Good lord woman, your going to burn the house down!

Ha ha. Nah. They're just little peppers. I should be able to substitute a few of these for the ones you listed though hey. From the sounds of what wildhair is saying, it's not so much about what it tastes like going in, will change to something else anyway. I do like the taste of the habanaros best.

The ghost peppers are more for fun, like watching when folks actually take on the challenge of eating them. We have redneck days here. One of the contests involves eating hot peppers and spam. I won it one year but just can't get that spam down as quick as most these days. The peppers are nothing. And one of those peppers in with a roast gives it an incredible kick.

At the end of the season, any peppers left get a quick roast and then ground up for pepper flakes... that keep us warm all winter. :)

LOVE the hot peppers. I blame this on my grandfather. He used to love to see me squirm with his hot pickles. Showed him one day... no reaction, just took it like a trooper and have loved them ever since.

Haha I always thought that 'senior member' told everyone you were over 60 years..

You funny. :) Well like I said, someone or something has no idea of my skill level and based on your understanding... my age either! Isn't there something about addressing age with women... how dare you! Hee hee. Carry on, I have no inhibitions, 16 or 60, makes no difference to me. Its more about how we live each moment that I look forward to each day.

And no, my employment allows us to retire, fully pensioned at 55, as long as we have a combination of years of service and age. I've got the service, but a few more years to go to get to the age.

So yeah, all in all, that whole "Senior Member" thing was just a tad confusing. Thanks to meadmaker, all cleared up tho. Are you good now too? Not a senior yet, really looking forward to it tho. :)

Haven't taken the new readings yet. Let me know when it's time. We should have the PH meter today as well, hopefully its in. This is what it's looking like...

20180611_141751.jpg

From the guidelines, we were looking at waiting until the 18th to rack them?

Rack again in 3 weeks. (June 18th) Make sure all containers are topped up.

Rack again in 3 months.

Should I just wait until then to take readings or is it important now?

You have it under airlock now, and a good amount of lees. I would wait until your ph meter comes in, or next week when you're ready to rack it. Then put some into the sg tube, test the sg, test the ph and rack it into a clean, sanitized carboy. Depending on the ph - you may want to make some additions to the wine when you rack it. I often rack it ALL into my fermenter FIRST - then test (sg & ph) then make any additions or corrections - THEN rack it into the carboy(s). I find it's easier to make additions/changes to the whole batch at once, plus you can stir the hell out of it and de-gas it.

Once the sg reading is the same for at least 3 days, it's done fermenting. Hopefully it's around .990 when that happens. Check the sg each time you rack, too & write it down.

CO2 is just the bubbles in the wine - it doesn't taste bad. It's what give fresh wine it's fizz. You shake it to get the bubbles to the top, then let it sit while they pop and dissipate. The SO2 is the SULFUR Dioxide - that's what smells like rotten eggs and gives it the "off" taste. You also get that if you add way too much potassium metabisulfite. :)

No PH meter today either. He said his distributor was right out so they are waiting on his shipment. He said he will call us as soon as they're in.

Good information wildhair. We'll leave it then for another week and hopefully the meter will be in. We can get both readings then. Will post when I have them.

Don't you get Amazon deliveries there?

I'm sure we would. Have never ordered from Amazon, but have heard a few stories that make me a little hesitant o start. This guy said there aren't any PH meters in our area and Bob's search would validate that. Not sure who this guy's distributor is (hubby is in contact with him) but he is working on getting us one.

Do you have a link for a good one on Amazon.. I could contemplate while we wait :)

I try to buy local when I can, but sometimes what I want isn't available. I've never had a bad experience with Amazon. I've gotten a lot of different wine supplies there. I don't order enough to make the Prime membership worth the $$$, tho. Although - sometimes I sign up for it - get the free shipping on my order, then cancel it before the 30 day trail is over. But I'm cheap like that.

I have a Hanna, but it's kind of finicky, so I was looking at this one to replace it -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CMG5RX/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It also takes the temp at the same time and shuts itself off after 5 minutes.
I'm sure everyone has a favorite one they love or hate & a reason why. Something is better than nothing..................usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back