Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes on the 3.
A 2 gallon is what I've not been able to find, at least not in a bottle top,lots of jugs and jars but nothing I can Cork and air lock

There are numerous threads on how to remove labels and then cork. I use a couple 15 gal rope tubs and OxyClean (no dye, no perfume, etc.) to soak bottles to make the old labels melt off. For the stubborn ones, I use a plastic spoon and shower brush. Wedding halls and wine joints are great to find used bottles you can clean and re-purpose. I found a nice Portuguese floor corker on Craigslist years ago for $20 where a winemaker's ex-girlfriend was selling off his equipment. His loss, my gain!

Sounds like a much more inebriating elevator speech, for sure.

If it were me - and seeing how you just racked it yesterday - I would transfer the 3 -1G jugs into the 3 gal carboy. It will make it easier next time you rack. And free up your airlocks for other batches.

I walked into my local supply house to inquire about corkers and bought the used floor corker he had been trying to sell for at least 20 minutes. I think $40.

Yes on the 3.
A 2 gallon is what I've not been able to find, at least not in a bottle top,lots of jugs and jars but nothing I can Cork and air lock
I use these - available in 1.25, 2, 2.5 & 3G sizes. I drill a 1" dia hole in the top, insert a bung and airlock. You can also put them on their end & remove the spigot and use a 7.5 bung and airlock. I don't like the 3G - the ones I had cracked in the corners. BPA free, designed to hold all kinds of juices, fairly low cost, easy to clean. The spigot is handy for sampling.

https://www.arrowhomeproducts.com/product-section/hydration/
070652007436_Side.png

Your carboys look great right now, I wouldn't rack into the 3g until time to rack again.
Keep them out of the light.
No need to wait three weeks, if the wine gets quiet and you have lots of lees, you can rack sooner. That second racking for me is usually 3-10 days rather than 3 weeks. Also, redose the KMS at that time because most of your KMS blew off with the ferment.

Oh darn Stressbaby, got the messages of my primary mentors first, all done.

And wow wildhair, NOW you show us a picture of the handiest, size versatile, redneck looking carboy ever. Ok, one of those is next on the list. Looks like a great liquid container to have around.

But I think we have a problem. Look at what they look like now. I know this isn't right. Do we just put water in the second one?

44708-82e28a4267494422eb1bf7adbb062d00.jpg

Attachments

• 20180529_192253.jpg
    20180529_192253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
If it is still fermenting, you'll have a layer of CO2 in that carboy on the left and, for a while, some protection. Ultimately that is too much headspace and you will need to deal with it. If it were me next time I'd rack it down to 2 1-gallons plus a 0.5g carboy. If you are anywhere near central Missouri you can have one of my 0.5g.

Yep - what he said ^
However, I would use a 2G or 2.5G jug instead of 2 - 1G containers for whatever didn't fit in the 5G carboy.

On a separate note - I was asked to show some pics of the jig I use to hold the bottles while I cork. So as not to hi-jack THIS thread (or steer it way off course) - I posted the pics and description here........

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/handy-home-made-tools.65486/#post-691767

If you have Q,s - post them there so we can keep this on the Massive Rhubarb track.

Last edited:
Ok, good information for future.

I panicked a little thinking something was going wrong cause the little one didn't start bubbling.

We weren't sure what to do but when hubby picked up the two new bottles he explained to the guy why we needed them. He told him about making sure they were full. To even them out and add water.

We took 3 cups out of the big one, added itt to the little one and put 3 cups of water back in the big one and added 2 more cups of water in the little one.

Probably not the best but it seemed logical to our minds at the time based on the information we had.

I hope we didn't dilute them too badly but they are both even and bubbling away this morning.

Got deep into that labeling thread yesterday. Are there ever some great looking labels! Never thought about a wine label before this, other than maybe to read that it actually had alcohol in the bottle.

But it got me thinking about a label for us too. Not sure how to go about it but thought a big fancy sword about to take a swack at our rhubarb bush might be reflective of what's inside.

The blade of the sword could be a stick of rhubarb (fancied out, blade like), the handle could be ginger in a handle form and the jewels in the handle could be strawberries and raspberries. And then grape concentrate could be dripping from the sword instead of blood.

Ha ha, now just to create it.

It would take a little while for the 3G to fill the empty space with CO2 and push out all the O2. In this very early stage, it would have been OK for the next couple weeks. Other opinions may very. I typically don't add water to top up - I top up with a similar wine or if I have to - I use "sweet water" - 1:1 sugar/water mix. Good to hear they are still bubbling away.

Oh boy, my impatience is showing. Should have just waited to hear from you guys. But this one is hubby's decision as well. He was the one armed with the information about adding water.

We will know better next time.

Should I add some sugar now? And if so how much would you add?

Oh boy, my impatience is showing. Should have just waited to hear from you guys. But this one is hubby's decision as well. He was the one armed with the information about adding water.

We will know better next time.

Should I add some sugar now? And if so how much would you add?
Its your wine now. Making changes on the fly,, write them down. Some of us might have lead you astray, in hind sight the small jugs where nicely topped up and needed nothing. But i agree that you will be fine. You need to start another something to keep you from over messing with this batch.
If you add sugar calculate target abv per the volume of water added. I would leave it alone

Good winemaking advice I got from this forum - if unsure what to do, do nothing at all.

@meadmaker1 corollary - if unsure what to do, start a different batch!

OT: this is not threadworthy but just to share...friend of mine in FL has 100# of excess of lychees and facebook messaged me yesterday to offer me a box for the cost of shipping...keeping my fingers crossed...my last batch of lychee wine came out really darn good.

No - just let it be. It'll be fine.

Busy day yesterday, saw this, relaxed about it all and just let it be.

Its your wine now. Making changes on the fly,, write them down. Some of us might have lead you astray, in hind sight the small jugs where nicely topped up and needed nothing. But i agree that you will be fine. You need to start another something to keep you from over messing with this batch.

If you add sugar calculate target abv per the volume of water added. I would leave it alone

Meadmaker, there is no way you could lead us astray. You guys have practically made this wine; I just did the physical activities. We are sure enjoying the talk and future planning of this hobby though, something that we are both getting into.

And yes, actually enjoying the down time. I won't mess with it any longer until something is needed. What does this mean: If you add sugar calculate target abv per the volume of water added? But I did leave it alone.

My shepherd had some major TPLO surgery a few months ago and I've been fortunate to have enough saved up holiday time to supervise his recovery. He's at a point now where he should be ok on his own and they are anxious to have me back to work,.. so that may put a damper on the next batch for a bit until things get back into a comfortable routine again.

This time off has been such an eye opener. Haven't had this much time off, in one chunk, in over 20 years. Other than some tense moments with the pup and this wine, it has been so much fun. There really is a life out here.

If it were me next time I'd rack it down to 2 1-gallons plus a 0.5g carboy. If you are anywhere near central Missouri you can have one of my 0.5g.

Ha ha, thank you, but no, we're up here in British Columbia, Canada. We did get one of these though. Was probably at lot easier than the commute to pick up yours. Again, thank you for this though and great advice for next time.

And this…

OT: this is not threadworthy but just to share...friend of mine in FL has 100# of excess of lychees and facebook messaged me yesterday to offer me a box for the cost of shipping...keeping my fingers crossed...my last batch of lychee wine came out really darn good.

Totally threadworthy! Fingers crossed for you as well. I don't think I even know what lychees are but that sounds like a lot of fun.

Gosh, I have some peppers getting to a nice size. I can't believe I was thinking... I wonder if you could make a pepper wine?

Whole new world has opened up for us. :)

Last edited:
Busy day yesterday, saw this, relaxed about it all and just let it be.

Gosh, I have some peppers getting to a nice size. I can't believe I was thinking... I wonder if you could make a pepper wine?

Whole new world has opened up for us. :)

Buy a few jugs of storebought apple juice. However big of a batch you want to make. Put the juice in an open fermenter, bring the specific gravity up to 1.085 or so. Add half of the recomended nutrient off the nutrient pkg, maybe some acid blend, tannin according to the pkg, maybe some bentinite to help it clear later, and add a pkg of yeast. Let it ferment down to 1.060 or so, add the rest of the nutrient and add peppers to the mix. I would probably slice them at least in half and put in a mesh bag. Let it ferment down, stir every day or so, when it gets to 1.010 or lower transfer to a secondary and remove the peppers. If you want more pepper taste, throw the same ones or new ones into the secondary. Number of peppers will vary according to taste and amount you are making. I have used some pretty hot ones and use maybe 2 to the gallon. Also, I am not really a fan of very hot stuff. Good luck with it, Arne.

Buy a few jugs of storebought apple juice. However big of a batch you want to make. Put the juice in an open fermenter, bring the specific gravity up to 1.085 or so. Add half of the recomended nutrient off the nutrient pkg, maybe some acid blend, tannin according to the pkg, maybe some bentinite to help it clear later, and add a pkg of yeast. Let it ferment down to 1.060 or so, add the rest of the nutrient and add peppers to the mix. I would probably slice them at least in half and put in a mesh bag. Let it ferment down, stir every day or so, when it gets to 1.010 or lower transfer to a secondary and remove the peppers. If you want more pepper taste, throw the same ones or new ones into the secondary. Number of peppers will vary according to taste and amount you are making. I have used some pretty hot ones and use maybe 2 to the gallon. Also, I am not really a fan of very hot stuff. Good luck with it, Arne.

Now that is a wine makers recipie. A little of this and some of that. As much of this as what ever. Lol.

There seems to come a point that folks settle into a way of doing things regardless of what they make. I know I have. Little adjustments for the tendencies of the type but I hydrate yeast , follow a feeding schedule, shoot for certain sg ect. And as a result I take credit and call it my own.

If you add sugar calculate target abv per the volume of water added? But I did leave it alone.
If your starting e.g. was say 1.100 and you had to add water and not change the alcohol lvl, you can simply add sugar to the water until it's 1.100 and there will be no change.
If you've already added the water you can estimate the amount of sugar if you measured the water.
But I personally would throw a towel over it and visit on the week ends for a couple months.

Back