Making wine the AOC way?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkanator

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone made wine in the manner that they do by the laws in France, or depending on your perception, how they made wine 500 years ago?
What I mean by that is, grapes/must yeast and some burning sulfur?
No adding acids, no MLF, no temperature regulation, no chaptalization etc. I understand that presumably that the quality of berry is greater from those particular vineyards, therefore no need for added ingredients.

Just curious..

I am certainly in no position to have done so, but let me point something out. Chaptalization was invented in France, and is legal there in all but the southern regions. In contrast, it is NOT legal in California.

It would be different if I owned a vineyard where I can pick and process grapes the very second that they at the perfect ripeness.

Unfortunately, I purchase grapes.

As a result...

1- I have no choice but to adjust acid. The grapes will continue to ripen off the vine and, as a result, the acid levels drop in most cases.

2- I use kmeta. The k-meta is just another technique if introducing SO2 into wine (just like burning a sulfur stick). I believe that this is legal in France, just look for "contains sulfides" on the label.

3- I do add yeast nutrient and am not sure how the French laws are with that regard.

Latest posts

Back