making use of Potassium metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elic307

Junior
Reaction score
Hi fellow wine makers,
I am excited as the new season is soon here. Last year was the first time I made wine and I used several time mata-b, by the book. The wine came out very good. But I heard that using metab is the cause for headaches that may be caused from drinking wine. I would like to know what others know from their experience.

How risky it is not use meatb?
Is the outcome much better when not using it?
Any precautions when deciding not to use?

BTW, I am making red wine

Cheers,
Eli

Kmeta does not cause headaches. Not sure what does, but I use it and no one that drinks my wine has complained of headaches.

I suffer from headaches, but rarely ever have one after drinking wine. And I do tend to use plenty of K-meta.

The one wine I made which I tended to have headaches after drinking was the one batch I tried adding oak to. For some reason the next day I'd wake up with a headache. I've never added oak since. That's not to say that the oak was necessarily the cause of my headaches, or the cause of anyone's headaches, but it might be possible I have a sensitivity to oak. Or maybe not, because no commercial wine has ever given me a headache. It could have been a coincidence.

I suffer from headaches, but rarely ever have one after drinking wine. And I do tend to use plenty of K-meta.

The one wine I made which I tended to have headaches after drinking was the one batch I tried adding oak to. For some reason the next day I'd wake up with a headache. I've never added oak since. That's not to say that the oak was necessarily the cause of my headaches, or the cause of anyone's headaches, but it might be possible I have a sensitivity to oak. Or maybe not, because no commercial wine has ever given me a headache. It could have been a coincidence.

I got headaches from dragon blood, I probably took in too much meta from the 2-3 bottles I drank at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Just read a topic on this site where calamity cellars had a strong stance on sulfites not being the cause of headaches.

Latest posts

Back