Making A Blueberry Mead (Melomel)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Another question..what about degassing?
I am very new to this wine making stuff.

Always degass all your wines. I use a drill mounted fizz x or mix stir.

I will be starting a 6 gallon batch of this wonderful stuff as the
gallon I made the first time didnt make it very long. This time, the
recipe goes-

15 lbs. - Raw wild honey

9 lbs. - Wyman's frozen wild blueberries

3 lbs. - frozen fresh blueberries

1/4 tsp. - k-meta

6 tsp. yeast nutrient

2 1/2 tsp. - yeast energizer

acid blend to be determined( will post final tsp. when figured out)

1/4 tsp. - liquid pectic enzyme.

1 1/2 tsp. Tannin

Will shoot for a SG around 1.095 but may go a little higher, will see!

Edited by: wade

Looks good wade.....I forgot that I had posted no pictures of my mead after bottling so I gathered what was left this morning for a photo shoot.
It is mighty good right now but I am going to try and save these for at least a year.
blueberrymead.jpg

Looks great Waldo. My blueberry has been bulk ageing for about six months now. Hope it looks that nice in the bottle.

Pete

Well... I scanned thru this waldo... think my brain is getting scrambled.. Looking forward to your reply on blending my current blueberry with a new mead. Have a great day

Hi Waldo... sorry about bouncing around.. I think I originally got on the mead subject in my Blueberry thread. I asked you for a mead recipe that would work for blending with my blueberry. well shoot. I found your well documented experience with the recipe from George. I took notes on that and will get somehoney and see what else I need to order from George.. I have a running list right now. Geeze.. think I am going to break the bank. Edited by: RkyMtnWine

I have made that twice, the second time I added more berries and it was to my liking more. Maybe because I wasnt using fresh berries that I needed more but they were both awesome.

Hi Wade.. found this bottle from trip to your area last october. well close to your area. Should make a nice little sample bottle. Have it sitting next to my gallon jug

20081113_192241_mini.JPG
Edited by: RkyMtnWine

I love Ludlow Vermont, I used to ski there almost every week at Okemo, my favorite place. I havent skied there in quite sometime as Im afraid that my back will get hurt again. 2 years ago i bulged 2 disks and was out of commision for about 3 months and couldnt even move for about 1/2 that time. If that were to happen again i would most likely loose my house so skiing is out but that town is so quaint and would love to move there or somewhere like it.

Was beautiful country... it took me by complete surprise... Of course we were fortunate to be there during peak colors. Been thinking on that blueberry/mead combo... leaning towards just doing the blueberry and mead maybe later... thinking I should look at doing one of the kit wines.

I would start with a small batch ....... maybe a gallon of Mead.

I was all excited and made Joes Orange mead the first time..... 3 gallons....... wasn't good, made 3 more gallons........ didn't like it........

Made 3 gallons, blueberry, then 3 gallons blackberry, 3 gallons raspberry, 3 gallons of a fruit mixture............ but didn't like any of them.........

My wife and I talked about it and decided that I just didn't care for meads....... that was when my wife commented on all the money we had spent and I should have maybe just did a few 1 gallon batches..................

For some reason that never crossed my mind................. sigh.........

Thanks for the info... was thinking one or two gallon batch. Will have to sleep on it and decide what I will do.

Wow find that hard to believe buddy and might ave to send you a bottle of mine to be sure that you dont like it. Can you pm me with your address again, i have a few wines to send you to try.

I have tried and made several types and in each one there is an underlying taste from the fermented honey that I didn't care for. Perhaps it's part of the aging process. I still have every bottle I made, which is now a couple of years old, so maybe it got better. I'll have to try it and see. Would love to try a bottle of someone else's thou.

RkyMtnWine said:
Was beautiful country... it took me by complete surprise... Of course we were fortunate to be there during peak colors. Been thinking on that blueberry/mead combo... leaning towards just doing the blueberry and mead maybe later... thinking I should look at doing one of the kit wines.

Don't know how I overlooked this. I knew you drove through the area, but you really took the scenic route. You were just about half way between me and Wade when you were in Ludlow. I don't ski so I have never been to Okemo, but there are certainly no shortages of ski spots in the area. They are all opening up presently and expecting more snow the next week, so come on over to ski! We are borderline on the winter storm warning area between a couple inches and up to a foot.

Back