Making A Blueberry Mead (Melomel)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks All......Man it smells awesome. Will check SG and probably rack it to a carboy this evening or tomorrow.

Guys

I need help with the numbers. Waldo had an acid of .38% and he wanted .60%. Adding acid adds .15% per teaspoon. If he added 6 teaspoons wouldn't that be adding .90% acid?? Wouldn't he only have to add 2 teaspoons to bring it up to .68%??

What am I missing?

earl

Earl,

The 1 tsp of acid blend raising the acid .15% is per 1 gal so 5 tsp would have raised it the acid only .15% for his 5 gal batch.

Thanks Masta...Another "notch" in my winemaking stick.

Racked the Melomel to carboy this morning at an SG of 1.010 and from my taste test, the acidity is right on. Has taken on more of the Blueberry flavor too which I really liked.

2006-07-06_020840_blueberry_racked_70606.jpg

Waldo,

Forgive my ignorance of blueberries (never used them), but I would have expected a much darker color blue. The photo almost looks pink (lighter than my sour cherry wine). Is this the typical color of blueberry wines? Just curious.

It does look good though
smiley32.gif

That is pretty typical for Blueberries pkcook when used in conjuction with another media. If it was 100% Blueberries it would have retaind some more of the blueberry color. At least that has been my experience and I am an expert since I have made only 1 gallon of Blueberry wine
smiley36.gif

Thanks Pete........I guess it was inevitable. I have heard the stories and cringed that I would ever see that day but it came visiting at 11:10 AM this morning. My phone rang at work and it was my wife, informing me that my Blueberry Melomel had "Blown It's Top" and foaming madly out of teh carboy. "What should I do Babe?" she inquired. "DRINK IT" was my reply
smiley36.gif
Not what i really said but she was a champ about and already had the mess cleaned up by the time I made it to the house.Edited by: Waldo

ROFLMAO
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

It's not funny that it blew it's top, but what a funny image- DRINK IT! as it's spewing all over. Blueberry sure can be vigorous, but when it's done boy is it good! Hope you didn't lose too much of that marvelous melomel.
smiley19.gif

The picture does not do that color justice. It's actually a darker color. Looks good Waldo.

I lost a little over a quart appleman but I think it will stll be ok. I have a couple of bottles of mead I made last year I can top up with when the time comes.

You are correct Angell, it is a little darker than the picturs demonstrates and as it ferments further it will get even darker.

I am going to get some of those big tubs from Walmart. I haven't had an
erruption yet but sooner or later, ya know. I'll put my fermenter
inside the tub so any leakage will hopefully be contained.

Pete

paubin,

I use the tubs when I transfer just in case I'm sloppy and spill, but I've never thought of keeping a carboy in one during fermentation. Might be a good idea for those musts that are prone to eruption, like blueberry!

My Blueberry Melomel finished fermenting so I racked it again and topped it up with some of my mead from last year. My impression at tasting was
smiley4.gif

2006-07-13_144814_blueberry_melomel_71306.jpg

Lookin completely awesome Waldo
smiley32.gif
! I cant wait to start mine, but it will have to wait until after vacation. I've decided that my next two will be blueberry melomel and a concord. I need a lot more room so I can have at least 4 going at the same time. My stock of wines is down so low since I moved from TX.

Pete

That looks mighty tasty. I have never made a Mead, do you have to use
any specific kind of honey, in example - store bought or fresh?

&nbs p;&nbs p;&nbs p;&nbs p;&nbs p;
Wade

Back