Making A Blueberry Mead (Melomel)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In just about any agricultural area you should be able to find a local honey producer. Our "local" producer is a friend of a friend who lives a good hour from us, but it's well worth the effort.

So Waldo,

How is the blueberry doing? On my last melomel the clearing was pretty quick. I could almost bottle right know if I wanted.

Pete

It is clearing nicely Pete. I am probably going to bulk age this one for at least a year in the carboy.

I usually bulk for six months max as my carboys tell me they like fresh wine every once in a while.

Just kidding, I'm not really that insane
smiley2.gif

That is one of the things I really like about meads( besides the taste that is), they clear so nicely.

Pete

Racked the Blueberry again this past Saturday evening. It has a deep rich color and at tasting the flavor of the blueberries had developed a lot more than was detected at the last racking.
20060815_022442_blueberry_racke.JPG
Edited by: Waldo

That is really looking good Waldo....I find I really like meads and can get excited about them...they are just that different, but fun to enjoy.

Thanks Bert..I am fairly new to meads but learning to enjoy and appreciate them..A LOT !!

waldo, do you wait a full year to drink your mead like I have read on the internet? I'm about to start a batch of Rasberry mead, and find that I hate to wait?? I hear they call it adult ADD???? By the way that batch looks really good.Edited by: kutya

I will have to admit that I haven't been able to save any of my wines/meads for a year yet. Hopefully I can start hoarding some back now A case of each type I make...Maybe a half case......maybe a bottle or two...maybe one bottle!
smiley36.gif

I am just now at a point of having afair amount of wine in inventory that is a year old. I have found it takes quite a bit of inventory to accomplish this and maintain the same level of drinking!
smiley2.gif

That is why I like to bulk age as long as possible. I can keep my gready paws off the wines longer that way and the wines get a chance to mature.

Pete

So what you are all saying is that impatience is a common problem among home vinters????? lol

Here is the label I designed for my Blueberry Mead
20060824_014042_blueberry_mead_.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, that is an awesome label. I am salivating looking at the honey and blueberries. It makes me want to open my fermenter and starting drinking my day old mead. Great job.

That's a great label. I would not feel guilty at all having a bit of that for breakfast with a label like that. It just looks so wholesome and nutritious!

Back