Lowering acid without Cold stabilization?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrrrrr

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

After Testing the PH of two wines that are sitting in secondarys, the PH came to 3.09 on the White Grape Raspberry and 3.10 for the Cherry.

I was looking to raise the PH just a little by adding some Potassium Bicarbonate.

Now my Issue is that I dont have the Ability for a proper Cold stabilization. At best i might be able to bring the temp down to maybe 36 F. or so. And I could only keep it there for maybe a week at most. (Family Fridge)
So Am I going to have issues with crystals or weird flavors or should I look into using a Different method of lowering acid?

Any Ideas are helpful.

Thanks.
Myrrrrr

You are not going to have any issues with weird flavors, you may have crystals in the bottom you your bottle but really isn't a bad thing. Having it at 36f for a week would be a big help.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I Think thats what I'm going to do. Im only going for a minor change so I am planning on only using about 3/4 of the recommended dose. (3/4 tsb per gal) My target is maybe 3.20 for both.

Ill have to see how low i can get my fridge without freezing the rest of the Groceries.

Another thing that some have done is put your carboys in a tub and add jugs of frozen water.

Another thing, have you tasted the wine? Try it before adjusting the pH. I have a white grape raspberry, that has aged some (since November last year) and I think I liked the flavor better with the lower pH (3.12 vs. 3.33). I felt it cut the sweetness (back sweetening preferred by my Wife) a little better for me.

Just take into account your preferences first, don't aim for a pH number just because "that's the pH it should be".

I have throught about puting the jugs in an ice bucket but I thought u needed around two weeks to almost a month to properly cold stabilize? So that would be a few trips to the local Ice distrubutor. But I have never tried so i really dont know.

And as far as the taste, they were both on the acidy side for my liking and and I usually like them Sharper then the wife. The 3.2 pH was just a guess so i could have a target to shoot for.

I would put it in for the week or as long as you can, rack immediately after removing it from refrigerate and let it be what it is. If you end up with a few tartrates in the bottle, no big deal.

Latest posts

Back