Other Acid adjustment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ignorantly added water to my first kit of cabernet. This weekend I plan to rack it off lees and taste it. I was told I probably threw it off balance. I added 3 liters of water so I assume I raised the ph and lowered the abv. Maybe diluted tannins.
Can I add tartaric acid, tannin during this racking if I dont like the way it taste? If its drinkable, ill probably just leave it and not risk messing it up further.
The wines been stabilized and fining agents added already.
Thanks!

Maybe you did change the balance but the taste is what counts. What is the beginning and current (final) SG? Your ABV may be very acceptable. When you taste it this weekend it will taste rough but you will get a general idea of it's goodness and flavor. During aging, you can always adjust the flavor with oak, tannin, acid blend and even fruits and berries. Plenty of suggestions on this forum on how to do that. You're in good shape; enjoy the learning experience as well as the wine! :)

Maybe you did change the balance but the taste is what counts. What is the beginning and current (final) SG? Your ABV may be very acceptable. When you taste it this weekend it will taste rough but you will get a general idea of it's goodness and flavor. During aging, you can always adjust the flavor with oak, tannin, acid blend and even fruits and berries. Plenty of suggestions on this forum on how to do that. You're in good shape; enjoy the learning experience as well as the wine! :)
I have to take the fg again. I didnt take it after adding the water. It was 1.095 og and .996 fg. I guess though, adding water cant really bring it above 1.000 but may just dilute it?

If you are short on water you will have high solids. This means more than normal total acid/ alcohol/ and superior flavor. pH is related to how the solids buffer out and may be exactly where recipe puts it but you won’t know unless you test.
If you added more than recipe water this means that you are low on total acid/ total flavor/ grape tannins/ percent alcohol (preservative). pH is related to how the grape solids buffer out and should be corrected in the primary since pH is a preservative that reduces spoilage organisms.
I ignorantly added water to my first kit of cabernet. This weekend I plan to rack it off lees and taste it. I was told I probably threw it off balance.
I added 3 liters of water so I assume I raised the ph and lowered the abv. Maybe diluted tannins. Can I add tartaric acid, tannin during this racking if I dont like the way it taste? If its drinkable,
Yes you can, the appropriate way is to look at the excess water volume and say if total acid was 0.6%, ,,, how much was missing by adding liquid with zero percent tannin/ flavor/ buffering salts. As SourGrapes noted water has NO buffering salts so it will be easy to over shoot pH.

Latest posts

Back