Loving my freezer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just loving my new 15 cubic freezer.

2 one gallon jugs of juice, (3) 6 gallon, (1) five gallon, (1) three gallon carboys and a ham. With 5 & 3 gallon carboys the sliding racks will fit over them if I wanted to keep some food in there.

IMAG0223.jpg

Nice, now you just need to build a collar and put a few corny kegs with taps coming out of the collar!!

When I did my research this is the exact freezer so many people were buying just for that reason. The ratings were very good. It is a GE, special order from Best Buy last Fall.

Dan;

You'll love the large size freezer!! I have the "Jeffrey Damler" size, able to hold 2 six foot bodies & have room to spare. one suggestion, buy a "food saver appliance", if you don't already have one. Buy meats & cheeses & other items in bulk at Sams or Costco, will last 2 to 3 years in freezer with no problems & no ice crystals..........like the day you bought them....

Al :tz :db :tz

No, that was right off of Amazon. I was just looking for freezer reviews when I saw folks were using it for their kegs and fabricating them with numerous taps.

Dan;

You'll love the large size freezer!! I have the "Jeffrey Damler" size,

...so some times you feel like a nut? LMAO

This isn't my first freezer. I just started using them the way they were meant to be used. Outside thermostat sat at 28* and full of wine, cold stabilizing.

Dan,

I too love my chest freezer - i have a 30 year old kenmore - still runs perfect!!

Looks awesome Dan! I'm hoping to invest in a chest freezer this spring. The one in my fridge isn't very carboy friendly! I've got the perfect spot for it in the garage too.

Nice freezer. I have a Frigidaire 14.7 cubic foot one that I put a collar on and 8 taps for beer. I can fit nine of the standard 5 gallon ball lock soda kegs in it, plus two 3 gallon cornies. It's about half full right now, and I have three more beers about to go on tap.

I bought mine from Best Buy a couple years ago, along with a 19 cubic foot one for food.

Why do you have wine in your freezer, if you don't mind me asking? Are you trying to precipitate out tartaric acid?

Last edited:
Holy Smokes is that cool. It looks lke you have a fan attached to the bottom of the door but I don't know what the black thing is on the left attached to the collar. Nice job!!!:b

WOW, nice job. :br I need to figure out how to do that with my wines so I can have that many on tap. :dg

Thank you all for the compliments.

Holy Smokes is that cool. It looks lke you have a fan attached to the bottom of the door but I don't know what the black thing is on the left attached to the collar. Nice job!!!:b

Very cool! How do you keep it from freezing the beer? External thermostat of sorts?

The black thing on the left is a Love TS-13010 digital temperature switch, which I got from Dwyer Instruments. I don't think I can link directly to the item because of the way their web site works, but you can search for it on www.dwyer-inst.com. There are many similar controllers that would do the same thing.

I cut the freezers built-in thermostat out of the circuit and wired the Love controller in its place. You set the set point to the temperature you want, and give it a hysteresis of several degrees so your compressor doesn't cycle too much, and it'll maintain that temp.

The fan is an AC 115 volt computer fan that I wired into the light circuit in the lid. I took the lid gasket and inside plastic panel off and attached the fan on some standoffs to a piece plywood on the inside because the plastic panel isn't sturdy enough to support it by itself. The fan runs continuously to circulate air inside the keezer. I could have wired it into the temperature controlled compressor motor circuit if I'd have wanted it to be intermittently on. I might do that if it ever wears out.

I'll post a couple more pics that show the fan mount and a closeup of the Love controller.

WOW, nice job. :br I need to figure out how to do that with my wines so I can have that many on tap. :dg

I just have beer and soda in it so far, but I'm wondering if I could turn a white wine into a sparkling wine by force carbing it with CO2.

Latest posts

Back