Long time no post

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello new and old forum members.
Some may remember me other will not know me at all. Either way hello again to all.

This post is not about a specific wine made but about the many that have been made through the last year or so since my last visit.

The list
1. My number one wine of all my strawberry, too bad I couldnt give you an actual number of gallons but there have been many many many gallons made. There could have been more but I lost close to 400 lbs of berries when my freezer went out. My rough guess would be in the range of 50-60 gallons. All of my carboys filled at least once and i have 12.
2. Elderberry Port sadly I only had time for a 5 gallon batch.
3. My newest edition for mass hobby production, Blueberry. Only 15 gallons so far but many blueberries coming in next year already got a new freezer for them.
4. The odd ball, muscadine jam peach, 3 gallon batch. This started out with muscadine jam that didn't gel so it became the base for a new mix. The peach came from a gallon jug of georgia peace juice. I picked up two gallons of it on a trip home from FL and we drank one gallon and the second went into this mix.

So that about sums up the last year or so of wine making for me.

I will try to check in more often and become a move active member. Until later today sip on that homemade lightly, the weekend doesn't start til tomorrow.

Hey runningwolf if I remember correctly you are the one that made chokecherry wine. If I am correct I based my try at it off if your recipe.
Thanks for the info but I have opened one bottle a year each year since I bottled it and it still is so bitter you cant drink it even at a SG reading of 1.026.
I am beginning to think its a Thomas Jefferson wine and needs to age out about a 100 years or so.
I think I made that wine in 2010 or 2011. So im on the way towards that 100 but after it hits the ten year mark i might just recover my bottles. Lol
Any ideas as to what might have cause it to stay so bitter.
I will have to dig through my post and see if I can find the post where I made that one.

Hey julie and others

Last edited:
Life is good. Still fermenting along.
You were talking about your chockcherry wine being bitter. Did you check the acid on it? If not, and I usually only check mine by taste, try pouring a glass and add a little baking soda to it. Just add a little at a time, a little goes a long way. Stir it in, taste and add a bit more if you have to. Calcium Chloride will do the same thing without leaving the soda taste, but you probably have the baking soda. Good luck with it. Arne

I havent checked it in a few years but im almost positive that i set it at 3.8 or there abouts. But i do check that when making my wines so i dont think it should be an issue but will take the advice and check it.

Back