Other Limited edition kits in general

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommBomb

Reaction score
How many if you find the limited edition kits (from any or all of the major companies) to be a worthy investment? I generally buy only high end kits such as RjS EP, WE eclipse, cc showcase. But was thinking of splurging on a few limited editions this year. Any comments?

How much more might you be paying for LE kit vs. say an RJS EP kit? If the cost weren't too much more and I could snag a wine variety that I like I'd give it a try. Maybe if you got the same variety, e.g. a Merlot, that you made in a HE kit you'd have a good comparison from which to judge the "value" of the more costly (I assume) LE kit.

Good luck. Please keep us informed.

I absolutely find the LE and RQs to be good investments. They are often special blends like the RJS RedMt Trio. Sometimes thy are unusual varietals like the CC Tannat Merlot and the WE Petit Verdot. Sometimes they are beefed up quality like the CC Roso Fortissimo with Super Grape Pack or the entire MM Meglioli selection.

Along with my standards, Montepulciano, Amarone, Brunello and Nero D'Avola I always save room in the budget for three or four special releases. I have several times tracked down a second box of one after discovering how good it turned out, Red Mt Trio being a recent example.

Last edited:
tonyt, which Montepulciano do you make? I have always enjoyed Montepulciano but haven't made one.

I've made many of the RQ's and LE's over the years and some of them have been outstanding but many have been good but a bit disappointing. Almost all of the whites have been excellent; the reds are where I have been disappointed with some, usually varietals. The best aspect of them is being able to make a varietal or blend wine that is generally not available in the regular kits. These kits are often sourced from grapes and vinyards not normally available to the kits companies so can be real gems. I find the blends have given me the best kits over the years.
Quite often, tasting events are sponsered by the wine companies to showcase these special offerings (they use commercial equivalents for these which can be hit or miss) and this can help you decide what you may like. Check to see if your LHBS may be doing one of these.
I've only recently started making the RJS Winery Series kits and these have been outstanding, better than almost all of the limited kits. I haven't made any En Primeurs or red Eclipses or any CellarCraft kits so can't comment on them.
For what it's worth, I have found over the years that the Spagnols red RQ's have given me better wines than the WinExpert red LE's with a few exceptions, but this could be attributed to the fact that the RQ's have had grapepacks and the LE's have not. The LE white wines have never disappointed me; I've only made a couple of white RQ's and they have been very good.
Regarding cost, the RQ and LE kits are less expensive here than the EP, Winery Series and Eclipse kits (by maybe $20-30, for regular prices) so they can be worthwhile investments.
My advice would be to check for tasting events, read the info on the kits when they are offered in a month or so, post on here for any members' experience with similar kits in the past, look at blends outside the norm (for instance there was an RQ called a Trio do Vinho Tinto 2-3 years ago that is a Portuguese blend of three grapes that is a great wine), make sure the red kits have a grapepack (except for say a Pinot Noir) and of course, be prepared to wait for the wine to mature to reach its true potential.

tonyt, which Montepulciano do you make? I have always enjoyed Montepulciano but haven't made one.

I first made the Wine Expert International Montepulciano then did the Mosti Mondaile Renaissance now I am doing another WEI. Unfortunately there are not many Monte kits available and none with skins. I add raisins. Maybe one day someone will do a LE Montepulciano kit . . . yum.

There always seems to be at least a few limited edition kits that you will not be able to get any other time. Sometimes they will come back (as another year's limited release kit or becoming a standard kit), but they may never be made again. In general, I would say they are worth the investment. Winexpert didn't have a red LE kit with grape skins until last year, so it will be interesting to see if they have more this year. The RQ kits from Spangols were a little underwhelming in terms of what they were offering, but that does not meant the kits were not good.

Thanks guys. I did the the California north coast grand red this year but haven't tasted it yet. Looking firward to buying the ken ridge Shiraz Grenache for sure and ill prob look into the WE and RjS versions. Stoked!

Without a doubt the Limited CC Showcase kits are my favorite wines hands down . Both Red and White wines. I have an Old Vine Mencia that I picked up on clearance due to the fact that nobody probably had ever heard of it. I think this kit blows away any I have ever made. I really should enter it into a competition but there is no way I am parting with a bottle. I know its amazing and I really don't need a judge to tell me so, plus it would kill me to think they tasted a few sips and spit, then more than likely tossed the rest.

TommBomb, We just bottled our Calif No Mtn Red this past weekend. WOW! As our norm we drink one bottle after the bottling, it was the smokiest, oakiest, heaviest, Red we have made to date. Even heavier, though different from our Amorone. It was 8.5 mo old. Needed the carboy or would have left it in there a full year. This one will be outstanding with a year in the bottle. Roy

Awesome Roy I'm stoked to give it a try! Are u going to buy this years edition?

Nice find eblasmn9, I'm also liking the ken ridge a bit more. FTC, do u have a store?

Thanks for posting Earl. I don't think that any of the RQ reds last year had skins so my hopes aren't too high. If the NERO D'AVOLA or the MONASTRELL/PETIIT VERDOT had skins, it would be an easy pick for me.

Thanks again for posting! If anyone finds the LE from WE, please let us know.

-Josh

Josh, I made the WE Selection International Petite Verdot and it seemed to have peaked at about a year old and I have been slightly disappointed since. I would really like to try Spagnol's Monastrell/Petiit Verdot and compare the two. I agree with you. If it had skins it would be a no brainer.

Josh, I made the WE Selection International Petite Verdot and it seemed to have peaked at about a year old and I have been slightly disappointed since. I would really like to try Spagnol's Monastrell/Petiit Verdot and compare the two. I agree with you. If it had skins it would be a no brainer.

Aditionally, the first year the PV came out as a LE was better than the new SI with skins. Sad but true. Sometimes skins or grape pack aren't the be all- end all. Juice quality trumps all.

Latest posts

Back