Other Limited edition kits in general

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the link Aaron, very helpful.

Tony, thanks for the comparison details on the two kits. I would expect (in general) the juice in the LE kits to be on the higher end. I would be interested to hear examples were people found the opposite to be true.

The addition of the grape pack or skins just helps me make my decision.

-Josh

Tony, I agree with you the quality of the juice is the most important factor. I have done a few winexpert and RJ Spagnol limited editions without skins. I have also done several Cellar Craft Limited releases with skins. I found every one of them to be quite good. The difference is in the mouth feel. The wine expert Primitivo was quite thin. The Toro, as you know, was pretty darn good and not as thin. It was closer to the LE's with grape pack.
Now I made both Primitivo and Toro before I followed many of the winemakers on this forum good at their craft, including you, Tony. There many ways to make a thinner wine better. Now I have a barrel. I use oak powder, raisins, tannins and sometimes glycerin. Joeswine's photo journal in the when good wines gone bad thread of making the winexpert Sangiovese is fantastic.
So I guess the grape pack isn't quite as important, but I really like working with a grape pack.:h

I would 2nd the Monastrell - Petit Verdot. I might just have to buy a a new Vadai just so I can break in the barrel with that one. LOL

I think it's interesting they are not going to follow the standard one-kit-a-month protocol. They are instead going to release the Torrontes, Shiraz/Viognier, and the Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc in December and the other two in March.

I would 2nd the Monastrell - Petit Verdot. I might just have to buy a a new Vadai just so I can break in the barrel with that one. LOL
We can always use another Vadai.:h How many barrels do you have now, Mike.
I only have one and I really do need more. I will have to take care of this problem soon. The Monastrell-Petit Verdot looks good. Now should I get two?

I have (4) 23L. Now that I am making more wine from fresh grapes I can easily make the jump to the 40L barrels. Perfect size for 2 carboys plus a gallon left over for the Angels to fight over......

I haven't seen the 2014 RJS kits priced anywhere yet. The kits are advertised on Spagnol's but not available for sale and I've looked. What's up with that. I would think the retailers would receive advance notice so that they can list them up for sale when the company makes the announcement. Geesh! :a1

I haven't seen the 2014 RJS kits priced anywhere yet. The kits are advertised on Spagnol's but not available for sale and I've looked. What's up with that. I would think the retailers would receive advance notice so that they can list them up for sale when the company makes the announcement. Geesh! :a1

RJS usually announces their RQ kits early. Last year I think people found out what the kits were going to be as early as August. WE is pretty consistent on announcing them Oct. 1st. I'm not sure when the companies officially tell their affiliated retailers.

I spoke too soon!! Har, Har, Har! I just received an email from southern homebrew and they are listing the RQ series for pre-ordering. Prices look pretty good to me. I'm ordering 2 each of the Petite Verdot ($97) and Nero d'Avola ($88) for sure. They say sale is only till Tuesday. I'll make one each up here next year and one each in Florida in a few months when they are released. I don't like Shiraz, never had a Torrontes (sounds like weather climate) and Sauvignon Blanc is just plain boring. :sm

Last edited:

Please explain why that wine kit for a new barrel.

I can only use a new barrel on a kit since all my others are diseased with Malolactic Bacteria..... :)

Those are two really, really nice varietals. Being put out as a LR means it should be a really special wine. :try

Has anyone made the Petit Verdot Eclipse kit? I made a couple when they came out and were not good at 6 months. However, today they are starting to taste just fine. I don't know how long it's been because I messed up and forgot to write it down thinking I'd remember. So much for that idea.

Has anyone made the Petit Verdot Eclipse kit? I made a couple when they came out and were not good at 6 months. However, today they are starting to taste just fine. I don't know how long it's been because I messed up and forgot to write it down thinking I'd remember. So much for that idea.

I didn't know the Eclipse line had a PV kit. You sure it wasn't the pinot noir?

Josh

Now that all the kit companies have released their selections, I am deciding on what limiteds to do this year. I really like Petit Verdot so the RJS Monastrell-Petit verdot looks good. The Winexpert Shiraz/Cab with skins from South Africa is another. I don't recall the last time a kit company offered a Pinot Noir from Oregon, so there is my third. The problem is I already have nine kits to make.

Now that all the kit companies have released their selections, I am deciding on what limiteds to do this year. I really like Petit Verdot so the RJS Monastrell-Petit verdot looks good. The Winexpert Shiraz/Cab with skins from South Africa is another. I don't recall the last time a kit company offered a Pinot Noir from Oregon, so there is my third. The problem is I already have nine kits to make.

I'm going to do the Monastrell/PV and the Shiraz/Cab as well. I was interested in the Kenridge Tempranillo/Garnacha as well, but no skins, so I'll probably skip that one.

There's always the fact that you wouldn't get two of those kits until around March.

There's always the fact that you wouldn't get two of those kits until around March.

Now there's a thought. I should be through fermenting most of my kits by then. Your'e quite the enabler SC.:h My wife might ban me from these forums one day.:slp
If I keep making her the Island mist kits she'll be ok.

Latest posts

Back