Lime Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scuba, i would probably use Lalvin 71B as it will eat up a little of the ecxess Malic acid.

Scuba, a quick look at the websites of Jack Keller and Ben Rotter indicate that limes contain citric acid.

Like Joseph points out, I wouldn't worry about the malic acid in the limes. The dominant acid is indeed citric acid, and there is lesser quantities of malic. Like I said, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think MLF is warranted.

OK. Today I went to that restaurant and got that limeade again. And well your absolutely right, acidity is going to be a problem. Do you guys know how I could lower the acid level?

Scuba

I've never made this kind of wine, but in the book Home Winemaking by Terry Garey, as a note to her recipe for Orange Wine, she recommends using only 6 to 7 lime for Lime Wine, the zest from 2 or 3 of them, along with 2 lbs sugar, no added acid, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/4 tsp tannin, and 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. All the citrus recipes I've seen too all recommend avoiding getting any of the white pith into the mix. Not that I can speak from any experience, but thought I'd share what that book had.

Calcium carbonate will lower acidity.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">6160 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C6160_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Calcium Carbonate - 2 oz.

This chemical is basic; in other words, it lowers the acidity of your wine to within your targeted range.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$1.19</td></tr></t></table>

Tried that in the Rhubarb/Pineapple wine....The wine it has not much acidity...but I do get heart burn from it...??????
smiley3.gif
It's just me and pineapple I guess...
smiley7.gif
Some people love it.

Latest posts

Back