LC Carson # 9-13/4 Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beano

Regular Guy
Reaction score
Local store carries these corks exclusivley and when I bottle with them the bottom of the cork is tearing and leaving a piece cork floating in the wine. Not every bottle, but every second or third. I'm using the 2 lever italian corker distributed by the same company, LC Carson. Any feedback Ya'll can give ??
I float my corks in a campden solution when I'm ready to use them but I don't soak or satorate them.:slp

Also don't soak your corks, if you want to sanitize, use a cork a dor ( glass of K meta in the bottom of a bucket with corks around it with the lid on, the gas will sanitize).

I use these same corks all the time with no problems. I use a cheap red plastic hand corker.
As Rocky has said, check you corker, probably something in there tearing them.

Update

Hey Ya'll

I figured this out. I thought the cork was tearing on the bottom as it was being inserted...but no! As the cork transitions from the corker into bottle the top of the cork is shedding a semi-circurlar portion that was remaining in the compression sleeve of the corker. So, when I would cork the next bottle it pushed it into the neck of the bottle and leave it floating like a t**d in a fish bowl:slp Though not quite sure how to fix this, as long as I flip it over and blow through it to dislodge this piece cork, its all good now. Maybe just a quick touch with sandpaper will soften the edge and stop that from happening.

Joe

Back