Corks and a corker.

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Intheswamp, Sep 2, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 18, 2019 #41

M38A1

M38A1

M38A1

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

....won't they just settle during clearing, or run it all through a coffee filter? :)

gsf77 likes this.
  2. Sep 19, 2019 #42

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
    Wait a minute... You corked 60 cases in 18 months and you state "...I'm doing as a rookie at this."!!!! That don't sound like a rookie to me!!! ;)

3. Sep 19, 2019 #43

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Or, a paint strainer bag. :D

4. Sep 19, 2019 #44

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

I don't think I mentioned it, but I used the #3 grade corks from Morewine. They look very clean with few dark streaks in them. Matter of fact, after corking the ends of them almost look like white pine wood...smooth, few blemishes. FWIW.

5. Sep 20, 2019 #45

M38A1

M38A1

M38A1

lol, yeah - i'm still quite the rookie at this. I liken myself to being a wine maker much like a person who uses a box cake mix is called a baker. Most of that 60 cases is Dragons Blood or Skeeter Pee, or some slight variation on the DB with different fruits. Virtually all my SP is using the gross lees of the previous DB batch. So if I make a 6gal strawberry, then I make a 6gal lemon-strawberry. Make a DB blueberry, follow it with a lemon-blueberry.

I've done three wine kits with great results - again, another box cake in my opinion with great results.

And I've tried two years now with real grapes grown locally at my brother in-laws. Horrible grapes to work with (wild mustang) due to super high acidity and very little juice per grape). But it's given me a good understanding of how to really make wine from the get-go. Sooooooo many members here have walked me through the process and have been so friendly and helping... I just find that amazing and that's why I love this forum.

My latest order is two juice buckets from the LHBS (heck, i don't even remember what i ordered) that should be in anytime. I understand they are frozen or shipped chilled and all I need to do is pop the top and let it go. Hmmmm - so many questions like "is the yeast already in there"? What's the initial SG? and so forth. Then there's sooooo much I simply don't understand like the whole SO2 thing, MLF and a host of other stuff, thus the "rookie" comment.

Intheswamp likes this.
  6. Sep 20, 2019 #46

gsf77

gsf77

gsf77

It's easy for some of us to get hooked on the process of making wine. :)

7. Sep 20, 2019 #47

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Weird you should say that, gsf77. I was just this morning talking to a buddy of mine about the room in the trailer that I'm planning on fixing up to ferment and store in. I told him, "I don't drink that much wine and my wife don't drink it at all. I think I just like the process."

I tend to like to tinker with things, but, I do like to drink a little all along. And if I make a gallon or two of different things all along and stick a couple of bottles of it back for long-term aging I figure I might have some tasty drinks in my old(er) days.<GRIN>