Basic sanitation for bottles and corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
Being new, I had no bottles to speak of when I began this adventure a few weeks ago, but've lately collected some from a recycle bin at a restaurant.

That said ..... is there a workable (not too-labor-intensive) way to get the labels off the bottles? I'm soaking them right now in a soapy solution outside.

Can I soak the corks in a sanitizing solution, or .... is there something better? I'm thinking if they absorb fluid, I'd never get 'em into a bottle neck.

Also: lots of my new bottles have caps on them instead of corks. Will that be an issue? I mean, if there s/b some pressure build-up after I rack the wine into those bottles .... problem?

Thx much for any feedback, anecdotes, cautionary tales, etc., etc. ......

Mitch

1. Its ok to reuse bottles soak them in oxiclean and hot water rise well and sanitize with k-meta solution or star-san.
2.Dont Soak your corks just run them in dry.
3.Dont cork screw top bottles... you can rinse sanitize and reuse the screw top if needed.

Those screw caps are a problem - there is not standard sizing. You might find some "Zorks" but corks are going to be much cheaper.
Hope you aren't talking about saving used screw caps or corks - Corks definite not - Screw caps, really iffy proposition.

My process for de-labeling is to soak bottles for a couple days in a 5 gal. bucket then scrape label off with narrow paint scraper that comes to a point, which is great for slicing the heat shrink sleeve. I use a Mr Clean majic eraser to get off the glue residue. I consider de-labeling a separate process, sanitizing is something I do just before botteling. I have corked many sreww tops without a problem. I soak my corks in star san and give.a quick rinse before corcking

Those screw caps are a problem - there is not standard sizing. You might find some "Zorks" but corks are going to be much cheaper.
Hope you aren't talking about saving used screw caps or corks - Corks definite not - Screw caps, really iffy proposition.

Hi, Scoot - well, actually I was talking about using old corks (I have a bazillion of 'em); no idea where they all came from (!).

I can't soak them in StarSan?

I'm heading to Raleigh tomorrow (Wed), so if I have to, I can stop by the brewer's supply place and get new corks.

Thx, guys, for all the suggestions; they give me something to go on.....

I wouldn't re-use corks. Not worth the risk for saving a few pennies.
And screw cap bottles are thinner at the threads, there is a risk of the cork breaking the bottle as you insert (or remove) it. Often it's OK, but sometimes it's not.

1) NEVER soak corks in any sanitizer solution. Doesn't do the cork any good, especially if it's an "agglomerated" cork and even if it's not you don't want to risk damaging the cork. Additionally if the corks were removed with a corkscrew, then they are compromised and not fit for use in bottling wine.
2) "OLD" corks even unused ones also begin to break down after a long enough time especially if not stored correctly and again it's not worth the risk.

Lately I prefer to heat the bottle label with a cheapo heat gun then most labels can be started with a razor blade and peeled right off. Then a wash and using a brillo pad the residual glue comes right off. Simple process and not messy.

Latest posts

Back