questions about corking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakersoaker

Reaction score
Hi all im very new to wine making and just bottled my first batch (apfelwein).
i have a few questions.the corks that came with my amazon kit were synthetic i believe (pic Below).I assumed they need to be sanitized like everything else so i put them in a star-san solution while i was geting everything ready.(about thirty minutes).Now im reading that your not supposed to soak them so im very confused. Did i ruin my wine? do i have to drink all thirty botlles as quick as possible?also my kit came with a hand corker (pick below) and when i corked them the top of the corks got a little pinched meaning not very flat.is this ok?

th.jpg

corker.gif

Being that these are synthetic I do not think you have a problem. It is when using real cork there are issues with soaking your cork. If it was real cork you may have 1) harmed the structure of the man made cork agglomerated or collimated by breaking down the binder glue that holds these style Cork together. 2) started a mold problem in the natural cork it's self this would case your wine to be corked flavored very unpleasant. In the future most corks come sealed in a plastic bag ready to use soaking is not necessary

Some do not trust that plastic bag. I have had no problems so far trusting it.

After the bag is opened, on the next batch if corks are left over, you will need to spritz each cork with k meta solution from a spray bottle before putting it in the bottle. That's good sanitary practice, to be sure.

And pardon me, but this has become something of a tradition here whenever this type question is asked...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScXTP_Jz814[/ame]

:)

I used to soak my synthetic corks (before I new it was bad) and never really did have a problem. I am using every bit of willpower I have to end this post now and not talk about it anymore ;):)

Soaking won't hurt anything - it will help the cork go in easier. Keep your minds out of the gutter!!!

The only issue I've seen with soaking a synthetic cork is it'll pop out a lot easier if your bottle is filled too full or is the wine and bottle are not close to room temperature.

Soaking won't hurt anything - it will help the cork go in easier. Keep your minds out of the gutter!!!

I agree with winemaker. Synthetic corks are not the same as natural corks and are simply a type of plastic and not vulnerable to TCA. Go ahead and give 'em a good soaking if you want. There is no harm in it.

IMO a corkidor is a better option. Synthetics won't benefit from the humidity, but they would from the fumes. I prolly wouldn't store synthetics this way, but overnight in a corkidor prior to bottling would be preferable for me.

As Dan pointed, there is at least one drawback to shoving a wet cork in a bottle.

Just say NO to wet corks!

....also my kit came with a hand corker (pick below) and when i corked them the top of the corks got a little pinched meaning not very flat.is this ok?

Regarding your second question, no, the dimpling from the corker will not affect the corks' performance, only their aesthetics.

It will be fine - if it is a big deal to you - put a capsule on it and nobody will ever know the difference..

not positive on the reason your cork is flattened out. i have the same corker and what i've seen while bottling is that the ram that presses the cork down is smaller than the top of the cork itself. but like everyone said this is purely cosmetic and does nothing to hurt the wine.

Back