Corking and a Corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about corking and I've searched the forum and while there is good information, some of it's not completely clear. So I have a few questions.

1. My kit came with a plunger corker. Just watching videos of people using one and it does not look like fun. (and even dangerous to the wine and even yourself) Given this is my first foray into winemaking, I am willing to buy something better, but don't want to spend too much. Is the Portuguese double level corker much better? I see one for about $12 on Amazon. That is an acceptable price if it's worth it. Is it?
  2. Someone said in the review of the said corker, that they had issues (as it's not adjustable) and it wouldn't cork deep enough or too deep. Then edited his review and said dropping them in water fixed the issue. Then I see everyone saying not to soak the corks. (ugh!) Which is actually right and maybe that's just not a good corker since it has no adjustment?
  3. Is there a better corker option that isn't too expensive or take up too much space? (ie, not a big floor corker)
  4. I see #8 and #9 corks and they say #9 corks are for longer storage. My kit came with #8. I'm also looking at using 750ml bottles and a few 375ml bottles (for tasting from time to time without opening a full 750ml bottle) How can you tell which corks can be used with which bottles. I heard some #9 corks don't fit in some bottles. (I'm guessing 375ml bottles are one, though I heard some 750mls are the same) Which corks should I use if I'm not sure how long I will actually store / age the wine?
  5. When figuring out the adjustment for a corker to get the depth right. Do you just keep corking an empty bottle till you get it right? Then start corking wine filled bottles or is there a better way than wasting corks on empty bottles?
  6. Finally, any other advice or opinions that won't start a flame war?

Thanks!

If you think you might stay in this hobby for any length of time I would toss the hand corker and buy either a used floor corker or new Portuguese floor corker. The hand corker works but no adjustment and it just doesn't do a very good job of inserting corks. Anytime I have ever used it it leaves about 1/4" of the cork out and a HUGE dimple in the cork that never goes away. Its a crap corker that works only marginally. The floor corker adjust to most any bottle height and insertion length adjust as well. Just fill a bottle and then cork it. If it doesn't go in quite all the way you just rotate the screw a turn or two and hit the bottle again until you get it perfect. It also doesn't leave any big ugly dimple in the end of the cork. Worth every $ IMHO.

The double handled corker does the job most of the time, but as Mike said, it can leave part of the cork sticking out and always puts that huge dimple in the top of the cork. I never could use mine effectively with #9 corks, but had some success with 8's. I did a few batches with that, then upgraded to the Portuguese floor corker.

I've never used a plunger corker, and if the two handled corker is supposed to be an 'upgrade' from that, I can't imagine what a PITA it would be. I say get the two handled corker and try it out with a few bottles filled with water to see what you think. I always used it with the bottle on the floor, between my feet and found that to be the easiest way. You can secure the bottle with your feet (shoes on, of course) and use your weight to help push the cork into the bottle.

Third vote for the Port. floor corker, completely adjustable, handles any size cork you choose, with little effort. My 15 year old daughter corks while I fill bottles, she handles it very effectively.

Thanks guys, cmsben61 posted a picture, but does no brand/link to where I can find that exact one. (I'm guessing not all are the same)

Also, about the #8 and #9 corks preference and how do you know which corks will/won't work with specific size cork? I'm guessing #9 corks won't fit in 375ml bottles? If #9 corks will work is there any reason not to use them if they are supposed to be able to seal longer?

...and best cork material?

Sorry, I feel like I'm just pelting you guys will endless questions, but I can't stand going into something not knowing everything. I do not like not being prepared. (which is how I lost my first Eclipse batch :( )

Thanks guys, cmsben61 posted a picture, but does no brand/link to where I can find that exact one. (I'm guessing not all are the same)

Also, about the #8 and #9 corks preference and how do you know which corks will/won't work with specific size cork? I'm guessing #9 corks won't fit in 375ml bottles? If #9 corks will work is there any reason not to use them if they are supposed to be able to seal longer?

Sorry, I feel like I'm just pelting you guys will endless questions, but I can't stand going into something not knowing everything. I do not like not being prepared. (which is how I lost my first Eclipse batch :( )

Hi! What went wrong with your first Eclipse ?

Hi! What went wrong with your first Eclipse ?

I was an idiot and late for work. Combine the two and my Eclipse investment went down the drain. :(

Basically, I (following the instructions) sealed the big mouth bubbler and put an airlock on it for the first fermentation. (now I have a 7.9G bucket and just sat the lid on it) Once fermentation really started going, it blew the top off (and sprayed wine all over my closet staining the walls :( ) The wine was exposed for probably 12 hours and I thought that was very bad. I was also late for work trying to clean it up. So, I thought it was lost (and I had no idea what else to do since I was in a hurry) I dumped it. :(

I go on craigslist and find bargains, also amazon has many ratings and reviews that might be of help deciding on your purchase. I also type (things of interest) into the search bar on this forum and read past posts. You can learn a lot by this alone, I know I do. Take lots of notes they sure come in handy

I got a Portuguese corker as part of my 1st wine equipment purchase thru Craigslist. That batch also came with a plunge corker, so I understand why they bought a new corker right off the bat. I can't imagine corking with anything lesser powered.

Pam in cinti

So, I went shopping. (been doing a lot of that stuff for winemaking lately hah)

I picked up the Portuguese floor corker, and a bunch of other stuff that I was going to need.

Priced everything out from different places, then priced it out on the Label Peelers website I keep hearing about here and they beat everyone (even Amazon) by $30 including shipping! If their service is as good as everyone says, I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of business with them. :)

Thank you everyone for your input.

I use #9's on 1.5L, 750ml and 375ml bottles. With the floor corker, no issues.

As far as material, I use the 1+1 corks from Laffite: http://www.lafitte-usa.com/#!corks/c1ofj

If you have a floor corker use #9's for everything. The only reason for using #8's is that they are slightly smaller and easier to insert with a hand corker. We've switched over to using synthetic Nomacorc corks. They are about the same price as the better grade natural corks and have several advantages 1) They don't have to be kept wet so you can store bottles upright. 2) Eliminates the possibility of cork taint. 3) Durable will last 10 years or more although they are new enough to that the jury is still out on how they will compare to high quality natural corks in the long haul.

So, I went shopping. (been doing a lot of that stuff for winemaking lately hah)

I picked up the Portuguese floor corker, and a bunch of other stuff that I was going to need.

Priced everything out from different places, then priced it out on the Label Peelers website I keep hearing about here and they beat everyone (even Amazon) by $30 including shipping! If their service is as good as everyone says, I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of business with them. :)

Thank you everyone for your input.

This was a very good move on your part. They are awesome! Feel free to pick up the phone and call them for answers to their products, etc. You might want to get to know Matt

I have the Portuguese corker and love it, threw out the kit corker, what a pita. Have also switched to Nomacorks and have not had any problem with creases or leakage with #9 x 1 1/2

Latest posts

Back