Cork punch mark

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milant

Junior
Reaction score
My first wine experiment got bottled last night. The process wasn't all that difficult, but I have noticed that my corks have this circular punch mark on the top when they end up in a bottle like the corker's push rod is applying the pressure on a small area and crushing the top of the cork. Also, some of the bottles have a little bit of cork in the wine. The corks are in the bottles just fine, but the corks look weird. I'm using Portuguese double lever corker and #8 corks soaked in K-Meta.

Is this the problem with 1) the corks, 2) the corker, 3) my technique or 4) soaking of the cork? For those that will ask me what kind of corks are these - I have no idea, it wasn't on the bag and the bag came with the kit. Any suggestions on the topic.
Thanks,
-m
PS. The 30 cork bag came two corks short. I found it odd and it wasn't a problem, but I wonder, does this happen often??

Could be caused by any of those, or a combination of a few of them, including not leaving enough headspace...air compresses, fluids don't. I've never seen corking instructions to soak corks, all that I have seen warn not to have them wet.

In the end, if the bottle is sealed and you have enough space between the cork and the wine, you should be fine.

I used to get that using my hand corker. I do not get the "punch mark" you describe when using my Italian Floor Corker.

I get that punch mark with my hand corker, but it isn't hurting anything.

As far as cork in the wine, make sure your corker sides(where the cork slides through) doesn't have any burrs or defects. I had one that had a little burr that would scrape the cork when inserting and leave a small fragment in the wine at times.

Another cork soaker?? I remember reading this on another thread a week or two ago. Can corks actually get contaminated just sitting in a sealed bag? I know sanitizing just about everything that comes in contact with your wine is a must. (no pun intended) I have never soaked corks in K-meta or anything before bottling but there seems to be several vinters here that do. Is this really common practice?? :?

Another cork soaker?? I remember reading this on another thread a week or two ago. Can corks actually get contaminated just sitting in a sealed bag? I know sanitizing just about everything that comes in contact with your wine is a must. (no pun intended) I have never soaked corks in K-meta or anything before bottling but there seems to be several vinters here that do. Is this really common practice?? :?

Several home winemaking books say to soak for various periods of time. From Vines to Wine does, cause that was my first book and I did it for a while. Browsing my collection, older books talk about it and newer seem to say as long as they come from a sealed bag and are in good shape, don't. For me I quit. I keep my corks safe and clean and I didn't like the water being squeezed out by the corker. I've never seen any real thorough assessment of why or why not.

Just rinse in k-meta solution. I have a small Tupperware bowl and put 10 in at a time, close the lid and shake. I know that lots of people don't do this, but the k-meta solution is dark brown by the time I am done. The corks don't soak for more than a few seconds.

According to an article that I read in Winemaker Magazine, commercial wineries do not soak their corks and, by implication, neither should hobby wine makers. That being said, however, I have always followed the practice of soaking corks for a few minutes prior to bottling. My thought on the subject is that soaking in a Kmeta solution is an abundance of caution that has no material adverse consequence.

Some postings on the subject in this forum indicate that cork soaking soften's the cork. I haven't found that to be the case. After only a few minutes of soaking, I still get a very tight long term cork seal in my bottles.

One observation that I've made, not related to soaking, is that the cheap 1.5" #8 agglomerated corks that I use to use a few years ago are saturated half way up the cork by the bottled wine they stoppered after a year. I haven't seen signs of saturation with the 1/75" #9 corks that I've been using over the past year. Unfortunately, the time frame in the use of the #9 premium corks hasn't been long enough to say that it wont happen, but I'm confident. While I have no definitive proof, my best guess is that #9 corks seal better than #8 corks regardless of cork construction, agglomerated or natural.

I know that I've gotten off topic from Milant's initial subject line but, as I've been thinking a lot about bottling lately, his question prompted me to expound on the subject. Bottling is the last step in the hobby wine making process. A misstep can ruin months of work.

Currently, I'm re-evaluating all the non must/wine steps that I take. These include fermenter cleansing, sanitation, and products; and bottle cleaning, sanitation, and closure products. Disappointment with some of the wines I've produced is what is prompting this re-evaluation.

I get those divots with my Italian floor corker. It seems to just be a cosmetic issue and I never really gave it too much concern (would obviously prefer not to have it though). NorCal's comment is interesting...I'll have to look at my bottles and see if there any correlation between deeper divot and less ullage.

I'm firmly in the "no wet corks" camp. Any liquid on the cork creates a potential path for egress of wine or ingress of ...well, anything. Compression of the cork against the glass is what gives you the seal. If I want to sanitize the corks, I'll put the corks in a colander inside a bucket of kmeta so they're exposed to the gas but not the liquid.

Just rinse in k-meta solution. I have a small Tupperware bowl and put 10 in at a time, close the lid and shake. I know that lots of people don't do this, but the k-meta solution is dark brown by the time I am done. The corks don't soak for more than a few seconds.

And that's one good reason for at least a quick rinse. I immerse my corks for about 1 hour in OneStep solution. I don't dry them and I've never had any water squeezed out. I use # 8 First Quality and a hand corker. The only issue I've ever had is from putting too much wine in the bottle and the pressure pushed the cork out.

But as DoctorCad said my rinse solution is always colored after putting the corks in there normally a light tan/gold tint to the water. I trust the companies that package those corks but I haven't seen anything on their packages that states they are sanitized/sterilized for us.

My first wine experiment got bottled last night. The process wasn't all that difficult, but I have noticed that my corks have this circular punch mark on the top when they end up in a bottle like the corker's push rod is applying the pressure on a small area and crushing the top of the cork. Also, some of the bottles have a little bit of cork in the wine. The corks are in the bottles just fine, but the corks look weird. I'm using Portuguese double lever corker and #8 corks soaked in K-Meta.

Is this the problem with 1) the corks, 2) the corker, 3) my technique or 4) soaking of the cork? For those that will ask me what kind of corks are these - I have no idea, it wasn't on the bag and the bag came with the kit. Any suggestions on the topic.
Thanks,
-m
PS. The 30 cork bag came two corks short. I found it odd and it wasn't a problem, but I wonder, does this happen often??

1. Do not wet the corks.

2. Dimple on end of cork. I, too, get the dimple but it goes away after a few day. And I also use a Portuguese floor corker.

3. Pieces of cork inside the bottle. Are the corks you use blunt cut or do the have a camber on each end. My experience with those with a camber insert easily. Those that are blunt cut sometimes crumble on the leading end.

Mike

Checked out 6 sources and a short summary...

1) http://www.eckraus.com/blog/preparing-your-corks-when-bottling-homemade-wine
Recommends: Rinsing or soaking does not suggest for or against boiling.

2) https://winemakermag.com/630-should-i-boil-or-soak-my-corks-prior-to-bottling
Recommends: Insert dry - assumes all corks now are pre-sanitized and coated properly.

3) http://www.midwestsupplies.com/how-to-prepare-corks
Recommends: Dry insert for floor and stand corkers or 20 warm solution soak for Hand corkers - Against boiling.

4) https://www.finevinewines.com/HOW-TO-SANITIZE-YOUR-CORKS.htm
Recommends: Sanitizing with one of two methods but not soaking or boiling.

5) http://winemakersacademy.com/boil-corks-wine/
Recommends: Dry insert or a quick star-san dip

6) http://www.letsdowine.com/bottlingwine.html
Recommends: Rinse in sanitizer and possibly a little glycerine if difficult with hand corker.

Let the debates continue. ::

I also get a dimple at the end of the cork - using normac corks.

In the past if I was concerned about the dimple - I would take a piece of cotton and soak it in met solution and place it on top of the cork in the floor corker. This would act as a cushion and not leave that dimple in the cork,

Most of the time - I push down the cork a little bit more and seal the top with wax.

I bottled 5 cases yesterday and paid attention to my corking process since this thread has been pretty active. I'm using 100% natural cork from Lafitte, not the top end quality, a couple of grades down from there. Beautiful corks, #9's, 1.75" long. They sit in a plastic strainer, in a bucket of KMS, above the solution so they never get wet, while I'm filling the bottles. I spray all parts of my corker that contact either the cork or the bottle with KMS, wipe dry, and insert corks dry.

With a Portuguese floor corker, they were inserted, rather quick motion as opposed to a slow push, to a final position about 1/8" below the rim. Most corks exhibited some sort of dimpling / denting as a result of the process. This morning as I was capsuling the bottles, a day later, the vast majority of the dimpling / denting was barely noticeable, if at all. I suspect that in a short period of time it will be gone entirely. FWIW, I don't recall ever opening a bottle after aging and noticing any dimpling.

Consider;;;; Your local supplier likely gets corks in huge batches and breaks them down into smaller (30-100 count) ziplock baggies for retail. Quite sure that they are not subject to FDA regulations as foodstuffs. Much the same as the bottles and equipment you use. Throughout the process of manufacture to filling, reasonable care is taken to avoid any gross contaminations. I still cork the old time consuming, double handle way, and still float the corks in K-meta. Have yet to suffer any leakages or flaking. And last I heard, most people find "dimples" cute:) Oh BTW,, the best way to address the "corks sitting around the basement for years" issue is don't have them sitting around the basement for years,,,, make more wine! OR simply pitch 'em out and get some fresh ones!!

I have a KMS solution in a spray bottle. I do a quick spritz into the bag of corks when I start filling bottles.

My double-lever corker leaves a cute dimple in agglo corks and an ugly one in natural corks. But nothing's leaked on me. My double-lever has no adjustments so it'll be replaced.

I am following @jericurl 's hubby's lead without the extravagance of throwing it across the room (it'll be tucked away or given to someone I know who plans to start the hobby themselves).

Back