Late Harvest Vignoles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, if I was to double the readinging of 1.070, I would come up with 1.140, not 1.214. That will give you a believable reading- more along the lines of a late harvest.

After two days of fermenting I just took another reading and it was 1.16

Last year when I got this they told me the brix was 44

ok ok ok enough, I never was any good at figuring out formulas. I called Walkers today and they said the brix was only 38 this year meaning a tarting sg of about 1.169. I asked a wine maker today and they said to do what I did with the 50/50 mix look at the brix reading and double the brix next time. Maybe when Julie buys hers she'll stop by on the way home and we can play with her juice. Anyways no more guessing in the future. I bought a 30-60 brix hydrometer today! Now i need to make something special to keep it in. Its a lot longer and looks twice as fragile as a normal one. NO I'M NOT BUYING A SPARE!!!!:dg

Has anyone evr seen a hydrometer with just the lower numbers which would allow for a more accurate reading? Maybe one that starts at 1.020 down to .990 I'd like to get one.

And how much was that? Wouldnt a simple calculator have been cheaper? :)

Simple Calculator? I couldn't even work a simple reading/calculation! It was very reasonable at $15.00 at Presque Isle. Someone special ordered one and so they got a few extra's just in case.

Has anyone evr seen a hydrometer with just the lower numbers which would allow for a more accurate reading? Maybe one that starts at 1.020 down to .990 I'd like to get one.

Steve here you go. http://www.novatech-usa.com/Products/Specific-Gravity-Hydrometers I was looking around to see if I paid a fair price and I did get a good deal. This place must have 100 different hydometers. Pick if you want it to check sg, brix or alcohol. Multiple ranges.

I think I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to get some 3/4 or 1" pvc and end caps to make a case for mine before its too late.

Latest posts

Back