Late Harvest Grapes/Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast are typically between .3 to .4 in size, so you need an absolute filter of .25 in order to remove the yeast. Bacteria are around the same size. Anything less than .25 is not a sterile filter, and can get a re-fermentation.

There is a lot of discussion and differences of opinion among winemakers and experts concerning all this. Dean is leaning to the conservative end and Dan is towards the other end. For home winemakers, sorbate is a much easier option.

Lees filters, plate and pad filters, membrane filters, cross-flow filters, combination filters- so many choices, so much money
smiley5.gif

Dan - I read that you tasted the LH Vignoles juice before buying, have you sampled it yet after fermentation? Do you still like it better than last year's LH Vidal?

Found a really nice article in Oct/Nov 2009 issue of Wine Maker magazine on producing Ice Wine that has some applicability with LH wines.

Bonnie I have not tasted it even though I just racked it last week. Silly me, I do not do this like I should during the process.
I did share a bottle of the LH Vidal last night and again tonight with some folks and dang was it good. Incidentallylast week Ireceived a gold medal for it at the 37th annual U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition in L.A.

Whaaaaaaa.......

You forgot to tell your buds here Bro!

Congrats!
smiley32.gif

runningwolf said:
Incidentally last week I received a gold medal for it at the 37th annual U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition in L.A. 

runningwolf said:
Bonnie I have not tasted it even though I just racked it last week. Silly me, I do not do this like I should during the process.
I did share a bottle of the LH Vidal last night and again tonight with some folks and dang was it good. Incidentallylast week Ireceived a gold medal for it at the 37th annual U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition in L.A.

Congrats Dan, Well deserved. Didn't see the announcement posted at WMT.

Bonnie Joy said:
Dan - I read that you tasted the LH Vignoles juice before buying, have you sampled it yet after fermentation? Do you still like it better than last year's LH Vidal?

Bonnie I gave the LH Vignoles a taste today. Yes I believe it is going to be every bit as good as the Vidal or better!

Latest posts

Back