labeling jig

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good labeling jig that you use to get all the labels straight and in the same place? I made one but was wondering if there might be a better idea out there ...

d71ea54d.jpg

ebda4390.jpg

Looks like it would work nicely! You just need to add 2 lines on both sides of the bottle. One for that type of label and one about an inch higher up for those long tall ones (if you use any of those). With the lines on both sides it makes it a snap to line it up at the mark and press it into place. I use a soft terry cloth to smooth it on evenly across the bottle.

Hey Rick, (Venetian Gold granite?) I am trying to figure out why the base of the jig is wider than the width of the two sides. I assume it is for adjustment for 1500 ml bottles. If you did not do it, I would drill holes in the jig and put dowells in the right side block so you cold move it for different widths. The only other thing I would recommend is to put a series of parallel marks on the two sides to help you line up the top of the label. Other than the, looks really good. Is that Ash?

Hey Rick, (Venetian Gold granite?) I am trying to figure out why the base of the jig is wider than the width of the two sides. I assume it is for adjustment for 1500 ml bottles. If you did not do it, I would drill holes in the jig and put dowells in the right side block so you cold move it for different widths. The only other thing I would recommend is to put a series of parallel marks on the two sides to help you line up the top of the label. Other than the, looks really good. Is that Ash?

Yea, I got lazy ... just glued it up really quick. I have enough scrap to make different sizes if needed. I'm thinking of using this bottle for all my wines ... kinda a signature thing. Not too many people using this style / color of bottle.

it's oak

Looks like it would work nicely! You just need to add 2 lines on both sides of the bottle. One for that type of label and one about an inch higher up for those long tall ones (if you use any of those). With the lines on both sides it makes it a snap to line it up at the mark and press it into place. I use a soft terry cloth to smooth it on evenly across the bottle.

I need a soft terry ... and let the labels dry overnight. I smudged this one a bit.

Waiting for your full review buddy!

Oh and I will take one labeling jig when you get it all perfected!

Rick, I made a jig similar to yours awhile ago. I could't get my labels straight if my life depended on it. It got to the point that I was spending too much time trying to get them straight so now I just slap em on. Most are straight, some not.

I had bottles that were not parallel, that threw me off etc. I use the Avery labels and after I print them I can put them on the bottles and be done.

Trust me, after awhile you will have so much wine this will be the last thing you think of.

Great label though. Really nice.

Rick, I made a jig similar to yours awhile ago. I could't get my labels straight if my life depended on it. It got to the point that I was spending too much time trying to get them straight so now I just slap em on. Most are straight, some not.

I had bottles that were not parallel, that threw me off etc. I use the Avery labels and after I print them I can put them on the bottles and be done.

Trust me, after awhile you will have so much wine this will be the last thing you think of.

Great label though. Really nice.

Thanks Steve ...

I'm sure you are right ... I tend to go a little overboard on some things. My wife wants to give some of these away to friends (non believers) to show them how good homemade wine really can be ... so I'm being a bit picky on these.

There is one really nice labeling jig that was posted a few months ago...

Unfortunately I can't post the link (yet, since I need to have 5 posts...), but you can search "My labeling jig" posted by rocket man in April

the jig is up

Well i'm not as ambitious as you guy's so when i get ready to label i get out the trusty miter box and label away.:)

Thats exactly what I use! Not fancy or pretty but it works and it had the ruler already printed on the sides!

Joe & Mike, Great idea! I have an old wooden mitre box that is just gathering dust since I got my mitre saw. I was just about to sh-- can it! You saved a life!

I have a small piece of 2x4 that I place on one end so the bottle ends up in the same spot every time. I have 2 sets of marks on the box, one for tall labels and another for the shorter ones.

miter box reunion

never thought of blanking off one end good idea,my miter box also doubles ,when i bottle i place the 350,s on it and cork away.:se

Latest posts

Back