Nomacorc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else notice that they seem to have gone out of stock everywhere. Any idea what's up with that?

Found one place - 3000 minimum, think I'll wait
I just received this email from one of the vendors I've dealt with...

Dear Loyal Customers and Nomacorc Users,

We apologize for the production delays and update you on recent developments at Normacork's new plant, which commenced operations on January 17th, 2024, incorporating advanced printing and finishing capabilities.

Unexpectedly, the transition from their North Carolina facility has presented equipment validation challenges, leading to production not meeting their targeted capacity. Their team is actively addressing these issues and are making strides toward meeting their loyal customers' needs. We are optimistic that we’ll be running back at our normal capacity come April 2024.

Your patience and trust in Vinventions and Nomacorc products during this period of transition are immensely appreciated. Please rest assured that they are fully committed to overcoming these challenges and continuing to deliver the high-quality service and products you expect.

Surly didn't know they were located in NC. Any specifics on location?
The facility is in Knightsdale, just east of Raleigh. About 30 miles from me.

I tried contacting them, never received a reply.

Never used Nomacorc. Are they worth the money?
That depends on you and your needs.

I had problems with corks growing mold on the outside, due to poor cellar stability. I've been using Nomcorcs since 2018 and have zero problems. I opened a Port kit from that time tonight, and the wine is aging very nicely.

Nomacorcs don't need to be laid down, so they can be stood upright. I generally store bottles horizontally out of habit, but have some cases that have been upright for 6 months.

You can get cheaper corks, and for folks who drink their wines within a year or so, the cheaper corks are a good choice.

I purchased a 1,000 count bag last fall, which I'll use up within 2 years, so it's a deal for me. Including tax + S&H, I paid $0.19 USD/cork. In smaller quantities, the price was at best $0.28. I see folks paying $0.40/cork for premium, but since my 1-1/2" Select 900's are doing fine at 6 yo, I'm not seeing that as a good choice for me.

I switched to Nomacorcs about 5 years ago when I began having issues in inserting, extracting and longevity of the "three piece" variety of corks, i.e. the ones that have natural end caps and agglomerated centers. I have never regretted the change over and now use Nomacorcs exclusively.

BTY, I love the letter posted above from Nomacorc to its "Loyal Customers and Nomacorc Users," probably because, as a manufacturing guy, I have been involved in similar SNAFU's over my career. All that those words really mean is, "We bought a new piece of equipment and did not adequately test it at production volumes before pulling the plug on the old equipment."

I imagine there was an internal memo that went something like this:

To all employees,

Please join us in congratulating Norbert H. Slumbacker, formerly Manager of Production, as he embarks on his new assignment for your company. As many of you know, Norbert was instrumental in the purchase of the new cork printing and finishing machinery recently introduced in our new plant. He has been reassigned to a challenging new position exploring emerging opportunities for Nomacorc in Gabon and Madagascar.

Good luck, Norbie!

Info through the vinters club;
* there seems to be low weight/ ex 4gm @ on some. The finished cork will stretch and wrinkle when inserted. Wrinkles cause 17% leakers.
* The club source thinks the new factory was built in Mexico.

I recently purchased 1,000 Noracorc select green 500 series which is an upgrade from the 900's. The 500's are a scooch longer than the 900 series and my new #1 cork. I also keep my bottles upright for storage. At $165 for 1,000 quality corks it was worth the cost. Actually one of the best parts of this is not having to worry about having corks for the next 3+ yrs! :p

The facility is in Knightsdale, just east of Raleigh. About 30 miles from me.

I tried contacting them, never received a reply.

That depends on you and your needs.

I had problems with corks growing mold on the outside, due to poor cellar stability. I've been using Nomcorcs since 2018 and have zero problems. I opened a Port kit from that time tonight, and the wine is aging very nicely.

Nomacorcs don't need to be laid down, so they can be stood upright. I generally store bottles horizontally out of habit, but have some cases that have been upright for 6 months.

You can get cheaper corks, and for folks who drink their wines within a year or so, the cheaper corks are a good choice.

I purchased a 1,000 count bag last fall, which I'll use up within 2 years, so it's a deal for me. Including tax + S&H, I paid $0.19 USD/cork. In smaller quantities, the price was at best $0.28. I see folks paying $0.40/cork for premium, but since my 1-1/2" Select 900's are doing fine at 6 yo, I'm not seeing that as a good choice for me.
Yep, know exactly where Knightdale is. Used to go thru there on the way to Hatteras. We visit Ocracoke now and take the Cedar Island ferry. Used to really enjoy the ride on old 64 b/4 everything changed.
Thanks for the location Bryan.

Latest posts

Back